AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

[Discussion] What is the best way to manage your bids?

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Community,

I hope most of you are aware of the free AdWords courses that we offer within our Help Center. They're great resources, especially if you're new to AdWords and online marketing.

We're going to start a weekly quiz series where we ask a question that can be answered through one of our courses. This week's question is from Online Marketing 201.

Question of the week:

What is the best way to manage your bids?

Anyone can answer (you don't have to have taken the course) - so let's see who can get the most stars for their response!

Kathleen

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: [Discussion] What is the best way to manage your bids?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
If an advertiser is new to AdWords, then recommended way is to go with Automatic Bidding (Where AdWords automatically manage the bids to bring the most possible clicks within your budget assigned) , he does not have to put in manual efforts.
If he is an experienced advertiser and want to optimize the account by bidding more effectively on some keywords then he can go with Manual Bidding and other Bidding Strategies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How to promotion a website,,thanks

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

In my experience, the best means of managing your bids can be classified into the following categories:

Campaign Objective & Budget:

The most fundamental way of managing your bids would be dependent on your business goals and your overall budgets & estimated spends that you can incur once the campaign starts. Suppose you are running a Branding campaign for your client, you would want your ads to show up as much as possible for relevant queries. To ensure this, you would need to keep your bids high enough most of the time during the day, which implies you will have to follow a bidding strategy that ensures your ads never go below a certain ad position

Your budgets also play a huge role in deciding how you manage your daily bids. If the daily budgets for your campaigns are too low to sustain the campaigns through the day, you will either have to sacrifice your visibility and rank lower on the SERP with lower bids or go all out through the initial hours of the day and let the budget run out before the end of day. Depending on the strategy you adopt, your bids will either be very low or be high enough to ensure visibility in the day ( but not throughout the day).

Impression Share:

For many brands their impression share online is a major KPI. Such brands have a minimum impression share percentage that they have to maintain when they run online campaigns. For such brands, we need to ensure that optimum bids are in place to avoid a fall in the impression share for the brand as well as generic themes. For many brands, a good impression share above 80 – 90 % for brand terms is considered to be good & a anything above 35% is a good impression share for generic themes.

Device Preference:

Suppose your campaign is concentrated more on Mobile phones and not so much on desktops and it is absolutely essential that your mobile traffic is not affected in any way. You can use device level bid adjustment feature available in AdWords to increase mobile bids by a certain percentage. Your bid percentage can range from a  -100% to +300%. A bid adjustment higher than 0, will always result in your mobile devices being given preference over other devices thus ensuring maximum visibility on Mobile devices.

Matchtypes:

Setting bids based on your keyword matchtypes is another way of efficiently managing your daily budgets. As you would want only the most relevant of queries to trigger your ads on the SERP, you would ideally want it to be your Exact keywords that get triggered as they would be the most relevant as compared to Phrase and Broad. For this to occur without fail, you would have to set the bids for your Exact keywords to be highest followed by Phrase and then Broad. Following this approach will ensure you are recording clicks & conversions for the most relevant of queries thus increasing the worth of every click & conversion.

Ad Scheduling:

Ad scheduling will allow you to set higher bids for hours in a day or days in a week that have been profitable for you. Setting bid adjustments for your profitable hours & days effectively allows you keep optimum bids for your keyword themes thus allowing them the opportunity to perform to their potential.

Advanced Bidding Strategies:

These come in handy when you need to do bidding based on a fixed strategy and you want to do it on multiple keywords or keyword themes together. I would ideally split these strategies in to the follow 3 categories:

• Theme based
  • Ad Positions on the SERP
  • Performance Based

All of these strategies involve using labels and automated rules for your keyword themes. To begin with, you label your keywords based on the strategy you are adopting. For example – If you want to ensure that a certain theme of keywords should not face any issues when it comes to visibility, you label them as say – ABC.

Theme based:

Now once the labels are in place, you use automated rules to execute an percentage increase in the bids for these keywords whenever AdWords specifies a minimum bid requirement to show up on the 1st page.

Ad Positions:

Suppose you have a set of brand keywords that you cannot afford to rank lower than the 1st position. For example – A set of brand keywords. Once you apply a label to these keywords, you set an automated rule that whenever the ad position for these keywords drops below the position 1, the bids needs to be increase by say 10 – 15%. This will ensure that your ads never rank below the specified ad position on the SERP thus keeping up good brand presence.

Performance Based:

Suppose you want to keep a check on a few keywords in your campaign  that you know could have an adverse effect on your overall performance. You label them and then set automated rules to keep checking their performance over time and if they are not satisfactory after the predetermined time limit, you can set the rule to pause them. A similar exercise can be done for ad copies as well, where you pause lower performing ad copies ensuring only the best performing ones are running in the account.

Here is a link to creating & using automated rules that can be very useful when you setup your first rule for your account: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en&authuser=0

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

The best way to manage your bids is to use the automatic bidding feature

where adwords will give you maximum clicks under your daily budget limit

and you can also select standard delivery option for showing your ads evenly throughout the day.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Interesting question,

Bid management totally depend on your campaign objectives, There are some campaigns I need branding only and there are some campaigns I would consider ROAS as the main KPI,

So depending on the campaign objectives I would decide what kind of position I need for my ads, Whether I always need top places as positions or may be even having 4th or 5th position would work for my campaign objectives.

After deciding this I always go for manual bidding and bid differently as per my campaign objectives,

There are sometimes I use flexible bid strategies with ECPC

Also when handling bids most of time I use adwords scripts which can save your time if you use it effectively

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, Shashank
I just finished reading your message and i find it very interresting. Advertuising and marketing are the basics of building audience. Right now, i am new to AdWords, so your message has been helpfull.
I wish you a nice day

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Thanks Paula!

Appreciate it! If you ever have any doubts on AdWords, just shoot them across on the community. There are some very experienced AdWords professionals here who can certainly help you out.

Good day to you too!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"