AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

[Discussion] What are your favorite tools and tips for monitoring the performance of your ads?

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Community,

We're going to kick off our weekly best practice sharing series! As you probably know, we have free AdWords courses that we offer within our Help Center. They're great resources, especially if you're new to AdWords and online marketing.

We're going to start a weekly quiz series where we ask a question that can be answered through one of our courses. This week's question is from Online Marketing 201.

Question of the week:

What are your favorite tools and tips for monitoring the performance of your ads?

Anyone can answer (you don't have to have taken the course) - so let's see who can get the most stars for their response!

Get posting below!

Kathleen
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: [Discussion] What are your favorite tools and tips for monitoring

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

On the campaigns I work on, I take the following approach in general - 

1. 1st Week - Research > Analyse > Plan > Deploy 
  2. 2nd Week - Reports > Analyse > Optimize
  3. 3rd Week - Reports > Analyse > Optimize/Experiment
  4. 4th WeekReports > Analyse > Optimize/Experiment > Monitor  - and it continues...

While actively monitoring accounts, various performance reports play vital roles. They help decide the optimization areas and the methods. 

Some of the most frequent reporting tabs I look into are -

Campaign Dashboard

I analyse the following here - 

• Quality Score
  • Click Through Rate
  • Actual and Estimated Cost of Click
  • Average Ad Position
  • Total Cost
  • Conversions
  • Total Conversion Value
  • And of course, the comparative view of different types of campaigns

Dimensions Tab

I analyse reports for the following here:

• Search Terms - to see if the keywords are targeted as expected and if the ads are being seen and clicked by the right audience
  • Location (User Location and Geographies) - to see if the ads are being seen by the right audience, and also to find the potential of location bid modifiers
  • Automatic Placements - to see if the GDN ads are triggering at the right and relevant placements
  • Time (Days of the Week, and Hours of the Day) - to see the potential of ad scheduling

Segments Tab

I take insights on the following here:

• Device - which device type is doing better and if there is any device bid modification needed
  • Click Type: How are sitelinks performing and if the ad headlines are effective enough
  • NetworkTo have a comparative overview of Search and Search Partners
  • Top vs Others - How ad positions are affecting conversions and to see if bid adjustment is required to aim higher positions and conversions

Details Tab: 

To get auction insights and to see if targeting more impressions or higher ad positions are desirable

MCC Client Reporting

Campaign Details Report - I do analyse different reports at MCC level to monitor and optimize performance, but my personal favourite now is - campaign detail report. It has been added to the interface a few days ago only, and I am loving it. 

Analytics Reports

Referring to the GA reports cannot be avoided, specially to know the content effectiveness, actual landing page experience, and mobile device response. 

I would advise this excellent Custom GA Report by Avinash Kaushik. Though, I have done several modifications to it, but the base structure and many of existing segments remain almost the same. 

Hope I could be helpful.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
There are a few basic things I check. I monitor impression share report to understand where the campaign is missing on impression firstly. Then search terms, to see if traffic is relevant. Sometimes I use auction insights to understand competition and tweak bids accordingly.

Would love to see tips from other experts here.

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
For basic check, I look for the below mentioned 3 metrics:-
1. Avg. CPC
2. CTR
3.Conversion Rate

For further insight on performance, I look for the below mentioned things:-
1. Keywords on low position within Target CPA
2.Device wise Performance
3. Location Report
4. Network wise Performance Report
5. Last 7 Days or Last 14 Days Performance Comparison(From Last Month or This Month)

Tools which I use most:-
1. Adwords Experiments(Best Tool to test any thing new)
2. Automated Rules.

Looking forward to know some more useful metrics which other community members use to monitor performance.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
ROAS.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

On the campaigns I work on, I take the following approach in general - 

1. 1st Week - Research > Analyse > Plan > Deploy 
  2. 2nd Week - Reports > Analyse > Optimize
  3. 3rd Week - Reports > Analyse > Optimize/Experiment
  4. 4th WeekReports > Analyse > Optimize/Experiment > Monitor  - and it continues...

While actively monitoring accounts, various performance reports play vital roles. They help decide the optimization areas and the methods. 

Some of the most frequent reporting tabs I look into are -

Campaign Dashboard

I analyse the following here - 

• Quality Score
  • Click Through Rate
  • Actual and Estimated Cost of Click
  • Average Ad Position
  • Total Cost
  • Conversions
  • Total Conversion Value
  • And of course, the comparative view of different types of campaigns

Dimensions Tab

I analyse reports for the following here:

• Search Terms - to see if the keywords are targeted as expected and if the ads are being seen and clicked by the right audience
  • Location (User Location and Geographies) - to see if the ads are being seen by the right audience, and also to find the potential of location bid modifiers
  • Automatic Placements - to see if the GDN ads are triggering at the right and relevant placements
  • Time (Days of the Week, and Hours of the Day) - to see the potential of ad scheduling

Segments Tab

I take insights on the following here:

• Device - which device type is doing better and if there is any device bid modification needed
  • Click Type: How are sitelinks performing and if the ad headlines are effective enough
  • NetworkTo have a comparative overview of Search and Search Partners
  • Top vs Others - How ad positions are affecting conversions and to see if bid adjustment is required to aim higher positions and conversions

Details Tab: 

To get auction insights and to see if targeting more impressions or higher ad positions are desirable

MCC Client Reporting

Campaign Details Report - I do analyse different reports at MCC level to monitor and optimize performance, but my personal favourite now is - campaign detail report. It has been added to the interface a few days ago only, and I am loving it. 

Analytics Reports

Referring to the GA reports cannot be avoided, specially to know the content effectiveness, actual landing page experience, and mobile device response. 

I would advise this excellent Custom GA Report by Avinash Kaushik. Though, I have done several modifications to it, but the base structure and many of existing segments remain almost the same. 

Hope I could be helpful.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I like the blog you posted here. Such a great info to share. Keep it up posting. nice work.
Thanks,
Ram Kashyap

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager in order to remove an unnecessary URL.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the valuable post ratan. I will do most things u mentioned here!

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Thanks to everyone for their great responses! But the most starred answer for this post goes to Abhishek!

@AbhishekS - great job! Kudos!

Check out this week's question: How do you make sure you are using your budget efficiently in AdWords?