AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Community Member of the Week! - Shweta (1/28)

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

This week we're hearing from Rising Star Shweta, also known by her Community username as @ShroffS. Offline, Shweta is an Associate Director at SMG Convonix, one of the biggest agencies in India, and she has  a lot of awesome perspective on the Community and how it's changed over the  years!  Read on below:

photo.png

1. Tell us about your career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your business.

I was lucky to land a job in a startup advertising agency directly after my graduation in Computer engineering in Mumbai, India. As a startup, we didn’t have any structured training at that time & we had the CEO of the company train a few of us. He spoke so passionately about Internet Marketing and Google that I was hooked without knowing it ☺. I had no idea about marketing at that point. From the day I started reading & understanding how Google works, web crawlers, black hat SEO techniques, robots.txt, adbot, AdWords, AdSense…. I was fascinated with what the internet world had to offer. I now lead a team of 70+ SEM experts at the same agency, now called SMG Convonix.

2. Tell us about your best AdWords experience.

During one of my first experiences with advertising I read a quote by John Wannamaker - “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I don’t know which half.”

When I started getting more involved with AdWords, way back in 2008, I realized that it doesn’t have to be like that anymore! I was intrigued by the level of tracking & measurability that AdWords had. The targeting methods it provided even at that time were way beyond any other platform.

One of my first AdWords campaigns, I wanted to target a very specific region in the US. After a lot of research, I found that I needed to use IP based targeting and didn’t know if it was even possible. You have to remember that this was 2008 when the AdWords platform was not as evolved as it is today. I found a solution to this problem on our very own AdWords community and implemented it with my fingers crossed. And guess what, It worked wonders for my client’s account! This was my first introduction to AdWords and the community and I will cherish this always! Lesson Learnt – Don’t be afraid to ask questions & experiment. Everything is possible. Everything has a solution. Find a solution!

3. What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow AdWords Community members?

It is definitely not one lesson… but I have been in this industry for a while.. so a few things I have learnt and follow are:

• Set up conversion tracking and work towards that. Remember – a conversion is not just the amount of traffic or a lead. It is the amount of ‘relevant traffic’ or ‘qualified lead’ and it always has to have a business impact.

• No campaign is ever ‘completely optimized.’

• Test. AdWords is forever evolving to encompass the changing human behavior online. You cannot get places if you are afraid to experiment or are satisfied with the results you have.

• Be creative with your ads – remember – nobody counts the number of ads you run, they just remember the impression you make.

• Research. People love to talk about what they are doing. Learn from them.

• And last but not the least… Give back to the community as much as you can!

4. What do you enjoy most about the community?

I love the way there are new challenges thrown at you everyday. The positivity that people in the community have, the will to want to try something new and find solutions to an advertising/business problem.

The unsaid, healthy, internal challenges of who provides a solution to a new questions first is fun and totally hooks you onto it.

The responses and discussions that happen on the community help everyone learn and grow together as a one big happy family.

5. What is your most recent contribution to the Community which you would like to highlight?

Not really wanting to highlight any particular discussion but if I have to, then –

The recent discussion in which a few of us tried to figure out how AdWords works with sub categories for Topic & Interests. My initial answer was purely logic. But it was interesting to see the discussion that everyone had. Also, it was great to see that my logic was supported by Google.

6. Where would you like to see the AdWords Community go in the future?

The community is a wonderful lively platform for everyone to be in touch with real life issues that people face. It is a great place to learn new things and get solutions to problems you might have later. You can’t afford to make all the mistakes yourself! ☺

AdWords has come a long way from 2008 and the community has remained consistent with the knowledge that it has to offer. It has become more engaging and user friendly. And It is great to see it growing so fast!

What I would love to see is more people asking questions to improve the performance of their campaigns. Policy & billing related questions are a concern for people and will always remain, but I would like to have more interactions on actual challenges to improve the account performance, lead quality, revenue etc. to achieve the business goals for a client.

Every user looks at a problem from a different perspective and comes up with different solutions. I would love to hear different issues and once there are solutions provided by various community members, I would love to hear the one the user picked and implemented and what happened after that. I want to hear from users what worked and what didn’t for their accounts. How challenging their clients requirements were (I am sure all client requirements are challenging) and how they managed to achieve it. The more case studies we talk about the more engaged we are and the more we learn.

7. Lastly, to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you!

I love staring at the stars and can’t help but wonder about our place in the universe. On a more serious note – I was talking about astronomy.

I love playing sports. I love the beach and the sunsets. I love long drives. I love reading Japanese manga & anime, I love to doodle & I absolutely love food!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Community Member of the Week! - Shweta (1/28)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Congratulation @Shweta. I am sure you story will inspire me too.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thanks Om. I'm humbled to hear that my story is inspiring Smiley Happy
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah ! it is...