AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Community Member of the Week - Ratan Jha (11/23)

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi AdWords Community!

We're excited to share a new series of Community Members of the Week after a brief hiatus, and who better to start off with than one of our Rising Stars, @Ratan-Jha?

2ab1bcc4-c87c-4dde-ad63-73e3056a580c.jpg

Q: Tell us about your career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your Business.

It didn’t come up accidentally, I have worked day in, day out for it. Before getting into business and co-founding Splashsys, I used to do freelance copywriting for websites while in a full time job for the same profile. This is where I came across AdWords almost 8 years ago. It looked complex, yet exciting and challenging to me. Yes, it indeed was, and is even today.  But, I could not hold my growing interest in search engine marketing, especially in AdWords. The intensity of this interest kept growing every day and so did my ability to understand online audiences and their behaviours in more depth. I gradually became more passionate about it, and eventually it became the reason I could muster up courage and confidence to leave my 9 to 5 job and start my own business.

In short, AdWords has been the reason for me getting into business. And to tell you the truth, I love my job.

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience?

In the very first year of my business, I got a client for SEO who was afraid of putting money into AdWords. I convinced him to add $10 a day for 30 days on the assurance that if it does not work, I wouldn’t charge for SEO for a month, let alone my fee for setting up and optimizing her AdWords campaigns. What happened afterward was more interesting. I could fetch them a total business of over $2000 in the first 15 days. Guess what! After 6 or 7 months she was spending around $10000 a month and was paying handsomely to me as well for consulting. I call it my best experience with AdWords because it fueled my confidence and made me more passionate about search engine marketing.  Thanks to that very idea of convincing her for AdWords, I have never looked back ever since.

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow AdWords Community members?

Yes, I have one, no it’s two actually:

First, give your advertising efforts a candid goal. Set up conversions before you actually go live with your campaigns. No matter what kind of advertising goal you have, sales, leads, engagement, branding etc. there’s a way to track them and make AdWords work towards them. Use Google Analytics to the best of your teams’ expertise. Every single piece of data that you collect can give you important insights about improving your strategies and ROI.

Second, if you are too busy with what you do the best, do not simply start with online advertising for the sake of doing simply something new. Get an expert/partner to do it for you and keep a close watch on the progress.

Finally, do not stop advertising to save your dollars. It won’t take you anywhere. It’s like stopping the clock to save time as Henry Ford said.

Q: What do you enjoy most about the Community?

I have told this on several occasions in this community. Let me say it again. It’s the way community members participate in the threads/discussions and interact with one another. No one acts bossy. Everyone gives their best and then leaves enough space for others to chime in. It’s a community where every voice gets the attention and appreciation it deserves.

I get to share what I know, and learn what I don’t. Every time I sign in, there’s something to learn and share. The credit goes to everyone alike. Yet, special thanks to TCs, CMs and fellow RSs are well deserved.

Q: What is your most recent contribution to the Community which you would like to highlight?

It would be my recent article on how to use AdWords to market to existing customers effectively. Though, I can’t miss this opportunity to highlight my first article in the community – How to troubleshoot sudden fall in conversions?

Q: Where would you like to see the AdWords Community go in the future?

It’s already one of the top online communities – best on AdWords, of course. Though, more activities to encourage learning for new advertisers would be something I can advise.

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you? Or something you’ve experienced?

I love music, not just listening to, but playing as well. I play electronic keyword… oh it’s keyboard ☺.  Playing this one these days. You must already have heard it several times.

Thanks for sharing, Ratan!

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Community Member of the Week - Ratan Jha (11/23)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Congrats Ratan and great interview!

I have a big connection to music myself. When I'm not speaking with someone directly, I have music playing. I couldn't play an instrument to save my life however. Smiley Happy

Love the Henry Ford quote too!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks a lot @CassieH.

The weather is really fine, up on ''cloud number 9''... expresses how I'm feeling right now Smiley Happy

Thanks Tommy, and yes you would agree that it hardly makes much difference whether you play or listen to. It simply makes you feel awesome and rekindles the energy within. At least for me, it works that way Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ohhh... Great profile  article / interview @Ratan-Jha.  Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Great Interview @Ratan-Jha!! Playing keyboard is cool. Smiley Happy 

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’