AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Community Member of the Week - Jason Zhang (1/14)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi AdWords Community!

Our Community Member of the Week today is @Jason Zhang! Jason has been a Community member since November 2014, which is around the time that he started working with pay per click advertising.

Read on to hear about Jason’s advice on treating the ever-mysterious Quality Score like a human being with likes and dislikes, and his nomination for the worst ad of 2015! 

Q: Tell us about your career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your business.

A: I happened to be working for corporate and helping to manage quite a big load of business on AdWords. The role required me to be agile enough for any changes we found on the market, while staying aligned with the business goal. AdWords (Google Paid Search) has not only proved it's the best in terms of the leads generation funnel, but also has the very great advantage, which I love, that you can take most of the control from it, including very detailed location targeting (which is what our business is about), demographics, languages, bidding methods. It's like you’ve got everything you need and all you need to do is try to figure out the best combo, and it keeps changing.

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience.

A: When we have less of a need for leads during a certain season, the "right way" for us is to bid down a little bit and make sure the ad comes in at position 5 or 6 instead of position 2 or 3 like we do during high peak season. Compared to switching off the whole campaign budget for a month, it proves to be much cheaper on CPC, CPL, and also maintains the impression for brand. Of course, to achieve this you can take advantage of automated rules that AdWords will do for you. And chill!

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow AdWords Community members?

A: When you deal with AdWords, generally you learn lots of principles, rules, and tricks everywhere. But rather than treat it as a complicated tool, I see it more like a real person with its personalities. When you manage the quality score for example, think about what he/she likes or does not like, and then satisfy it in a proper way and no need to cheat. Smiley Happy Same for testing, it takes some time to see the results, and because of the algorithm it might not change that quickly when you've done some things - so be patient again with him/her.

Q: What do you enjoy most about the community?

A: It must be E/E (efficiency and effectiveness). You never know how great the experience it is until you try it. I'm new to PPC, only having started one year ago, and now I’m getting more familiar with it. But whatever questions or challenges I have during those stages, the Community has answers for you in seconds. The global site means it never takes a break. Now I would rather use the wisdom of the masses than the PPC fellows that I work with.

Q: What is your most recent contribution to the Community which you would like to highlight?

A: It’s a basic keywords questions, but it was interesting because it mixed with East Asian characters. With the background I have, I wish I could share more experiences on how non-English copy works in certain areas, since it reflects the huge differences among cultures and consumer markets.

Q: Where would you like to see the AdWords Community go in the future?

A: I kinda favor the idea that a forum can feature more case studies by several typical industries. The point is when we do PPC for a certain business, it's not just how the PPC performs that matters. If we take a step back--it's more interesting to see how the business model really works. I know those cases should be careful of confidential information anyway considering these are the competitive industries people work in, but it still could improve in that field.

Q: Lastly, to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you! Or something cool that you've experienced.

A: If I have to name...something cool I’ve experienced recently...it must be that there are advertisers out there have plenty of room to improve. I happened to read the following news two month ago on qz.com and found this auto ad..and I would like to nominate it the worst ad in 2015. That's kinda a cool experience to realize that big brands make mistakes too. Smiley Happy

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 10.58.18 AM.png

Thanks for sharing, Jason!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Community Member of the Week - Jason Zhang (1/14)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Nice work @Jason Zhang! I like the idea about the case studies, it's a great source to learn from.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.