4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Community Member of the Week - James Edward G (09/21)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Happy Monday Community Members!

I'm back with another interview for this week's Community Member of the week! This week, we hear from @James Edward G. Read his interview below!

james test53.jpg

Q: Tell us about your career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your Business.

My grandmother, who owns her own farm shop (95 and still working to this day) introduced me to the world of business from a very young age. I fell in love with the buzz of buying and selling and the sheer electric feeling of business. Naturally my idol was Branson, and even from a young age all I could think about was business. I played Monopoly virtually every night and I remember my main present at the age of 6 being a brief case and suit – at my request!

I love everything about business and entrepreneurship, and I think Adwords perfectly encompasses both aspects. There’s enough depth there that allows you to show your business acumen. Adwords can accelerate any business and it has incredible scalable potential if you can master it - something I am still trying to achieve Smiley Happy. I wrote my Masters degree thesis on online gaming - acquisition, conversion and retention. Shortly after doing so I was extremely fortunate enough to meet the multi-millionaire owner of one the world’s largest privately owned online gaming companies. It was fate and a chance meeting; he offered me the job as his right-hand man running the marketing strategy (inc all adwords) for around 4 years. I learned a lot from him and recently decided to take the plunge and open my own PPC search agency, something that’s incredibly exciting. My Grandmother still gives me business lessons, of course Smiley Happy

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience?

I had to literally beg for my first budget of £1,000 to use AdWords for flowers. But I was convinced of its power and potential so I put my neck on the line. I’d been tracking and running very, very tiny tests for around 2-3 months learning as much as I could. One afternoon the MD agreed and I got £1,000 signed off. I started my campaign at 2100 GMT and by 2200 GMT had doubled my spend in sales through our 3rd party tracking. I skyped begging for more and more and spent around £10,000 that weekend with little or no sleep and around 30 refreshes per minute in the account. That was undoubtedly when the power of Adwords and its reach struck me. I guess that’s what’s called ‘winning the moments that matter’ Smiley Happy

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow AdWords Community members?

I really like @Jon_Gritton 80/20 post and have long been applying this strategy. It reminds me of Frederick Vallaeys teachings and his philosophy that "Your goal should be the one key performance indicator (KPI) that matters most to the business. It must be tracked, and the data has to be integrated with AdWords where it can be used for optimisations”. My tip would be to carefully read posts by these great thinkers and apply their guidance to your accounts where feasible and possible. They really are ahead of the curve, like many of the Top Contributors.

On account strategy, I really recommend the use of simple scripts. They can be a little daunting at first, but are worth spending time utilising.

Q. What do you enjoy most about the Community?

I think it’s a fantastic community in which learn. These real life questions nearly always test you and make you think, which is a fantastic way to stay on the curve. It’s also a respectful and polite environment, with everyone willing to help which makes things so much better. I personally think the wider business world could learn a lot from our community. Although there are several fantastic resources to learn about AdWords, the community replies are raw, real, and provoke understanding advancement, making it one of the best places to learn. I also enjoy chatting to fellow community members and learning about different cultures and experiences through their G+ profiles. @Clynton M is especially helpful and it’s a pleasure to connect with fellow members on G+. Feel free to add me.

Q: What is your most recent contribution to the Community which you would like to highlight?

I try to help out where possible, so my posts aren't really that exciting as the TC posts. If I had to pick a recent one it would be a posted reply on a topic that had 13 (and counting) quick replies from many community members.

Although my reply wasn’t as detailed and as in depth as subsequent ones, I too learned a lot from this post and applied some useful knowledge to my own campaigns.

Q: Where would you like to see the AdWords Community go in the future?

I really like @Amy Bishop's idea of scheduled hangouts on certain topics. I think this could be an immense addition and fun-filled way of advancing knowledge and learning. What’s more, it creates some lasting friendships because after all, we are more or less all in the same boat.

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you? Or something you’ve experienced?

I’m not sure there is anything cool about me haha Smiley Happy I’m just one of the nice friendly guys really. I love visiting new countries and travelling. An unforgettable experience would be skydiving I think. Just before jumping from the plane I felt strangely calm. It was very therapeutic. I recommend it to anyone. Perhaps even an AdWords community skydive, with a live hangout on air? ……..

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Community Member of the Week - James Edward G (09/21)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Smiley Happy Awesome.
I'm a skydiving instructor so I would totally be up for an AdWords community boogie!
I'll take anyone who wants to go.

Great interview James!

Re: Community Member of the Week - James Edward G (09/21)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Quite an exciting story, indeed. Best of luck, James!
Experts in the Topic
Dave_Davis
AdWiser
KathleenG