AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Community Member of the Week - Dave Davis (09/28)

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager
It's a new week, which means it is time for a new Community Member of the week! This week we are hearing from one of our Top Contributors, @Dave_Davis

DaveDavis.jpg 

Enjoy Dave's interview!

Q: Tell us about your career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your Business.
I started off as a programmer. I did computer science in college and developed my own software. This was all back when I was 20. When it came to selling that software online, my life changed. I found that AdWords and other digital marketing channels required a little TLC and they could perform amazingly. I spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of AdWords (by participating on the community mainly) and it turned out that I enjoyed the actual management of AdWords accounts much more than actual product development. Something about seeing all the small adjustments being fine tuned into a sales machine made me tick. Ever since then, I've been managing AdWords accounts for other interesting businesses. We mainly focus on eCommerce companies now as that's where we see the biggest need and potential.

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience?
For a period of about two years, I was successfully managing a 10 Million Dollar AdWords budget for a well known company. The results were spectacular. It was so exciting to work on an account that had such high volume that we got results to our tests usually within the hour, if not that day. I had such a good relationship with the company and they trusted me to make as many changes as I needed. I learned so much in those two years and it re-ignited my love for AdWords and the possibilities it opened up. Ultimately, the account needed more hands so I recommended that they bring it in house. I helped with the transition and still consult on that account. It's amazing to see how far it has come and how many of my original campaigns are still in there going strong.

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow AdWords Community members?
Don't stop. An AdWords account is a living, breathing thing (not literally obviously). You can't just set things up and forget about it. You have to maintain it. A lot of people think that AdWords is complicated. While it can be, the barrier to entry is incredibly low. It's totally possible to learn everything you need to know in a short period. The really advanced stuff comes with time when you're trying to squeeze every last drop of performance from your account. I'd also encourage everyone to pay attention to ad extensions. They're relatively new in the grand AdWords scheme but they can make all the difference between a good and a great campaign or account. Finally, use Google Analytics to compliment your AdWords work. It's a massive help.

Q. What do you enjoy most about the community?
The community managers. Nah, they're great but the community users are all awesome. Everyone is happy to share their tips, info and advice with everyone else. There's no competitive secrets or anything like that. Many members have specialties too. It's great to be able to reach out to a particular member when you have an issue or a question about Shopping, Grants, Video, Remarketing etc. It's a melting pot of genius and it's like having your own subject matter experts on speed dial at times.

Q: What is your most recent contribution to the Community which you would like to highlight?
Ehhh, I guess my last two articles in the "Top Contributor Tips" initiative:
5 Powerful Ways To Use Google Analytics To Improve AdWords Performance

Q: Where would you like to see the Adwords Community go in the future?
I'd love to see more Googlers engage and I'd love to see more people share their case studies. Case studies have probably been the biggest asset to me in learning AdWords over the years I lap them up whenever I can. The community has come a very long way in the past few years and it's amazing to see it's growth. If you had asked me 4 years ago this very question, the answer would have been something close to what the community is right now.

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you? Or something you’ve experienced?
I'm a skydiving coach and I've won gold twice in the Irish National Skydiving competition. But I hate packing my parachute. I'm a very careless packer. I'm also a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fanatic and I like nothing more than seeing David beat Goliath. I have not found a way to combine my two biggest loves in life although that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Thanks Dave!
5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Community Member of the Week - Dave Davis (09/28)

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Good stuff. I finally made the cut Smiley Happy
Thanks Kathleen and thanks @Eric Gehler

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Dave_Davis - Finally made the cut? HA! I've been following your stuff for the past few years!

Great interview! Although I am not sure if I want to go parachuting with you now though after hearing about the chute. Just kidding! Still would. 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Brilliant @Dave_Davis. Love reading your posts

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Great Interview @Dave_Davis!! 

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Way to go, @Dave_Davis!

I'm off to feed some accounts, see that they brush their teeth and go to bed, now that I've learned that they're living and breathing (though I always suspected that, tbh Smiley Happy).
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
@AdWiser I've never been a man for words as you so eloquently remind me. I have to resort to tired clichés and hackneyed quips. The alternative is "ehhhhh numbers go up and numbers go down. Input and output". I just can't win.

I blame C# and AWQL, It's killing the tradition of creative writing.

You have just inspired me to write a fictional adventure-fantasy about the quest of long lost related AdWords accounts on a quest across the dark policy Valley to seek the legend that is a mythical whitelisted account status where QS is always 10/10 and click prices over 1c are unheard of. It's a tale of angst and false hope with a twist that will shock you. Stay tuned.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

You've always been a man for words, @Dave_Davis, you know that, I know that and @Eric Gehler, who was your partner in crime when you were dissecting one of the words I (mis?)used, about a year ago Smiley Happy.

And if surfacing your talent requires me to yank your chain, I'd say it's well worth the sacrifice.

(opens up Google Translate to search for hack ... hackn ... whatever).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.