3.4K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Boost your AdWords account: ROI tips needed. Can you help?

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

We are pleased to welcome another applicant from Boost Your AdWords Account: Crowdsourcing Solutions for the Back-to-School Season. His name is Harikesh. 

Harikesh manages an account for a Magento sites/stores developing company called Magento Guys. 

A few facts about the business: 

Magento Guys help develop sites for businesses. Magento is an open source e-commerce platform that helps business to break to succeed on the web. 'Magento Guys' is a reputed Magento development company, delivering innovative Magento solutions to clients worldwide. Our clients vary from startup companies to large well-established enterprises looking for a professional online solution to streamline business operations and boost their revenue generation. We have an elite team of dedicated developers and designers who work hard to best-in-class solutions in the industry.

We make use of state-of-art technologies and proven methodologies to deliver quality solutions that maximize your business productivity. We have more than 10 years of experience in the industry offering uniquely tailored Magento solutions helping our clients flourish their business horizon. Our Magento development solutions are a blend of innovation, creativity, design and robust coding. We have successfully completed 100+ e-commerce stores.

AdWords account: The campaign has 3 running ad groups. In last 30 days, the campaign 0.92% CTR with conversion rate at 7.19%. Average position is at 3.7. The campaign targets only search network. Country targeting is on random countries, such as Australia, countries in Europe, and US. From ad extensions Harikesh uses only sitelinks. The daily budget is not always exhausted, so the campaign has sufficient funds to run fully.

What Harikesh's business needs help with: Improve ROI and conversion rate of every Ad Group. Harikesh tried different optimization strategies but without good success.

Can we help Harikesh with some tips to improve his ROI?

Zee
G+
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Boost your AdWords account: ROI tips needed. Can you help?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

I must say, from the outset, that the conversion rate does not look at all bad to me. Over 7% is, to me, very decent, though I do not have experience with accounts in this vertical. Coming from E-Commerce, where a 2-3% is more than ok, 7% seems good.

What I am not impressed with, if I may say so, is the CTR. A CTR under 1% may mean the following:

• mixed display and search campaigns (they should be separated)
  • too broad keyword matches or ads which do not "match" the search queries (search query reports should be run to see just how broad the terms are)
  • not enough negative keywords (again, search query reports should be used to eliminate irrelevant search terms)
  • a too wide targeting, either at geographical level or at language level (target areas should be identified and advertising should only take place there)

On the other hand, I have found some grammar / spelling issues across the website, and in my opinion they might contribute to a lack of credibility. Especially the contact page looks bad, wording-wise.

However, the thing that made me rather uncomfortable is that after looking at the portfolio I could not find, among the first 3-4 websites, the live magento shops. One is not working (Martin Eyes), one is under construction, and two run Wordpress instead of Magento.

As a potential customer, one who is supposedly looking for somebody to set up a Magento store for me, I'd like to see how those websites look, how they work on several devices and, last but not least, how fast they are, because Magento is known to be a resource hog.

Hope it helps and hope that this post is only an ice-breaker.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Zee

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi community

let me introduce myself to the community.

this is Harikesh Reddy working as Sr.PPC Executive where i manage multiple accounts. where magento guys is one of them which i need to improve its Conversion Rate & ROI. Hope your suggestions will help me find me things.

Thank you

Highlighted

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Very much for suggestion calin

the account is enable on only search network and am using most phrase match type keywords. and there are enough no. of negatives that are been added.
i hope the ad copies are also relevant to thee search terms.

your suggestions on the website improvement is helpful for me.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Harikesh,

In addition to excellent thoughts from Calin above, I would like to add that as you said you are using primarily phrase matches, there is a need to review the Search Terms report properly and see which keyword is triggering which search query on Google search. Based on that you might want to explore more restrictive match type like adding exact matches because CTR of less than 1% on Search network is certainly not good.

Along with Search network, segment the data with Network (with search partners) and see how the stats vary on Google's search partners. It might be the case if you are running ads on Google search network, CTR is low on partners sites and you might want to disable that for sometime and observe the campaign performance after that. Of course the conversion rate on search partners would be a significant factor to consider.

You should also review the ad copy performance and if your ads are getting impressions with fewer clicks, then there is a need to re-work on them. Experiment with some good call to actions which you haven't tested yet. Otherwise identify the converting ad copies and based on them, create a little variation and test.

I just tried opening your site on my android mobile and it is opening the regular desktop site. This would also lead to poor customer experience while the user visits your site using mobile devices. I hope you have taken care of mobile traffic in your Adwords campaigns. If not, you can eliminate them by reducing the bid by 100% so that mobile users are avoided. I would strongly encourage you to work on either responsive site or a dedicated mobile site and then target mobile users because today's world is a mobile world and you cannot ignore the users who are constantly moving.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have tried submitting some "request for proposal" forms (the only things that I could perceive as conversions) and during the process the thank you pages didn't seem to have any conversion tracking . Also there is no  remarketing tag present that could help achieve a better conversion rate in a separate campaign.

I am curious as to how do you record that 7% conversion rate ?

Do you use any of the available extensions with your ads ? There are sitelinks with 2 lines of descriptions, location, call extension and more. All of those help your ad to gain more advertising space especially when displayed on position 1.

About the "Average position is at 3.7" (which is only a metric about impressions ) , can you bring a print screen with your Google Analytics report about "keyword positions"  to see in what positions did you receive the most clicks for your main 3 keywords ? You can hide the keywords by bluring them.

Are your ads restricted to certain locations at the campaign level or are they visible all over a country ? This can generate also a low CTR rate since in some locations different languages may be used that are not the same as the language in an Ad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for exceptional suggestions Pankaj

i actually forgot to review the stats of search partners of google for my account. your suggestion reminded me. thanks for that and i had disabled the search partners for now has there is no conversion rate from there.

yeah sure i will test the ad copies with new ad copy variations.

the site not responsive but i got 4.95% conversion rate on mobiles with affordable cost/conv.

so, i cannot restrict it now from not targeting mobile.

over all your info has helped me look into some unknown practices in my account

Thank you
Harikesh

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The only recommendation I can add  to the above excellent suggestions is ( that after implementing all suggestions mentioned )  to set a display campaign  and a remarketing campaign. (As said, only after implementing the advices given  for a search - You "can't have it all at once" ....);

Targeting methods on  the display,  I would recommend:  Managed placements (on t leading blogs in the field), and Topics, both  in combination with keywords   (for contextual targeting).

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 10
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Harikesh,

I know from our call conversation that you were a bit skeptical about the online optimization from the Community, but I hope we proved you wrong and you found all these tips are very useful. Smiley Happy

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. It would be great to address Adrian's questions from his post. 

I want to thank you all of you for participating and all great tips you've shared with Harikesh about improving the website quality, reviewing keyword lists or trying out the display network advertising.

Zee
G+
Experts in the Topic
AdWiser
MosheTLV
pankaj1782