AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Boost Your AdWords account - Optimization tips to improve CTRs and decrease costs

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Community friends, 

Let's give a very special welcome to Jonathan - their business is the first to get help via Boost Your AdWords Account: Optimization Solutions for the Nov/Dec holiday sales

Business Information

Joanne Hudson Associates are a major force in the kitchen and bath design business. The site encompasses the highest quality appliances, kitchen accessories, tableware, utensils and gourmet products. Furthermore, through introducing Joannehudson.com, the company has created an easy way to bring the Joanne Hudson collection of kitchen accessories beyond the walls of their Philadelphia-based showroom to that of global proportion.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 11.12.17 AM.png

Background

Jonathan is the business owner and also manages the AdWords account. He has been using AdWords since 1999-2000

Current issues

Their costs have been going up in the last six months without significant increase in sales. 

CTRs are going down while Quality Scores are mostly at 10 and 9.

Help needed

Jonathan welcomes advise in identifying the reasons behind the increasing costs and decreasing CTRs.

Can we help Jonathan boost his AdWords account?

Thanks, 
Mini
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Boost Your AdWords account - Optimization tips to improve CTRs and

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan.

By "increased costs" I'm assuming we're talking about an increase in average CPCs.  Is this across all your Keywords or only selected products/ranges?

An increase in CPC and a decrease in CTR suggests to me that your Ads are slipping down in position.  CTR is decreasing because we know that CTR is directly related to Ad position and your costs could be increasing if you're using any automated rules or optimisations that are increasing CPC in order to maintain a higher spot.

Have you examined average position for key Ad Groups across the last six months?  This data could be difficult to analyse visually if the change is small so you may need to download as raw data and run your eye over the figures.

Is this change happening in all targeted regions?  For example, are your costs increasing only on the East Coast of the US or across all States/Provinces?

Are you aware of any new competitors in the market?  They may not be new companies - they may be well established competitors who have just re-vamped (or started) their advertising.

Finally, are you using appropriate Ad Extensions?  If this change has been happening over the past 6 months or so I doubt this is that cause, but the recent change to the Ad Rank formula could negatively affect Ads not using extensions.

Although your site couldn't be a cause of falling CTR directly, I doubt there's any problem there; it's very nice, very quick to load and easy to use.  Good job!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunityJ

It could be second opinion for you as you have already received an excellent reply @Jon.

As you have mention that your CTR is going down and Cost per conversion are increasing. There could be many reasons for this. It seems that you have Search network campaigns type but these much information are not enough to jump on the conclusions. on the basis of this, I suggest some basic strategy that you can implement in your account if you have not done.

Run the Search Query Report:- In order to see the exact terms that triggers your ads in SERP, you have to run the Search Query keywords. Where you will see the some top performing keywords, thus it should be added in your keywords list with exact match and keep the bid high as these gives you better conversion and lower CPA. In the Search Query Report, you will find some irrelevant keywords. Thus you add them in a negative keywords, this help you to improve the Quality Score as well as reduce the CPA.

Geographical Report:- Please run the Geographical performance report and sees which city and state does not yields sale or sale with higher cost, remove them or set the location bid adjustment accordingly in your campaigns to get the better results.

Run the Keyword Performance Report:- The keyword is important when you are running the campaigns, so find the non performing keywords and pause them. And optimize your bids in top performing keywords. If you would the previous keywords reports, you can compare which positions gives good conversion and Adjust your bid accordingly.

Use of New Opportunity Tab:- This is a new tools that gives you insights of what is the improvement area in your campaigns, It gives you insights of competitors impression share, and suggests the newly keywords that you can add in your campaigns. You can also use this tool to find the newly tightly theme ad group.

Use Ad Extensions:- In Order to improve the CTR and Ad Rank, use the Ad Extension in your campaigns. With Ad extension you can gives the extra message of your products with your Ad-Copy.

Use Longer headlines in ad text:- Use the punctuation and full stop  at the end of Descriptions line 1 to get the Ads headline longer and more eye catching, This will help you to achieve the good CTR. Here is the refrence link

Create Product Listing Ads and Dynamic Search Ads:- Through the PLA you can show the Image ads in the SERP and Google Shopping page, That helps you to increase the online sale. Similarly Dynamic Search Ads(DSA) helps you to show your ads with automatically generated headline. It reduces your effort to create the long tail keyword list.  

Mobile Campaigns:- It seems that your website in not the Mobile friendly site, so create a mobile friendly site and target the campaigns in the Mobile device. That helps you increase the sales.

Remarketing list of search Ads:- If you have not started yet, Create the RLSA campaigns right away to target the Search remarketing audiences with the different messaging.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan;

My approach is more moderate . I like to take it  "one step at a time" ( compared to  overhauling the whole campaign at once), after careful analysis of the data . In that  approach, I am  more inclined towards Jon's (@Jon_Gritton )methodology  of "analyzing and improve",  than adding new features "right away". (Though, Google likes very much to see advertisers using new features.  - I am more conservative )

Also, keep in mind, that this is the "hottest" season of the year,  and you  probably want to get "quick results" in terms of campaign performance; I assume that you  don't have much time for "radical" changes.

So; the first would be to  focus on CTR and QS. Run the search terms report: see what keywords trigger the ad.  Remove  keywords which do not perform well. Work on the Keywords mach types,  and the ad- copy, and make ad-copy "tightly relevant" to keywords. (for the latter, Dynamic key insertion, DKI does a good job.)

Secondly, I would look at the auction insight report to analyze your performance vs competitors.

Only then - I would go to the next setup. (That could also include some changes to the landing page - but, as said, - only after improving current campaign).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I'm Jonathan and Joanne Hudson Assoc. is my site. I can't thank Mini and all of you enough for the oppertunity to tap into your AdWords expertise. I'm start going through these suggestions today-- it looks like I have a lot of reports to process. I'm going to have a lot of questions-- do you mind if I come back and pick your brains again?

Jonathan

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello, Jonathan.

From what I can tell, though I hope you can clarify this, your Product Listing Ads are not always showing in the top positions, neither on Google Search nor on Google Shopping.

And since you sell many products which are eligible for Google Shopping, I bet that lately the competition became very serious. In the past, if someone wanted to advertise a lot of products, she had to create a lot of targeted ads (I know it, I've created hundredths of them before PLAs were launched). Product listing ads, though, changed the game completely. right now, even if you don't advertise anything else, it's pretty easy to upload a product feed and create a basic PLA campaign. From what I've seen, in all my E-Commerce accounts, that meant two things: CPCs went up (tougher competition) and CTR for the text ads went down. In some cases way down, because it's hard to beat a nice picture with a text ad.

Please have a look, if you have time, at your performance, for text ads related to products and product listing ads. Do you get a lot of clicks for your PLAs? Is your feed optimized, do you have enough negative keywords, etc.?

If you're not so concerned about the sales on your online shop, and if it's the lead generation part of your website (kitchen design) that suffered most, then all my PLA-related observations are useless.

But if it's the online shop that worries you, I think that PLAs should be at the core of your strategy. Feed optimization, segmentation (all products, by brands, at product level), bids, negative keywords, etc., everything has to be in as good a shape as possible for you to be able to come up on top for every product related query.

Of course, all my fellow community members' suggestions also apply, I just wanted to add my PLA-related point of view.

And to end on a brigth note, your Magento instance is pretty fast, though Magento is known to be quite a snail when it comes to performance, if it's not properly optimized.

And as for your last question, we hope you'll come back, we'd be pretty disappointed if you didn't Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Calin. We have a comprehensive Merchant feed that we've been providing since the Froogle days. It just happens that last night my account got the roll out of the new "Shopping Campaigns" campaign type. I paused our current PLA campaign and set up the new Shopping Campaign. Setting bids by product group looks like it might be a huge help to us. It's running now and I'm anxious to see if it preforms any better.

I really miss the product extension that used to include product thumbnails within the standard adwords text ad. Those used to preform unbelievable well for us.

Jonathan

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Ah, the product extensions. Yes, lovely little visible creatures Smiley Wink.

If you've paused PLAs and switched to Shopping campaigns you'll need a little time before the new campaign performs at peak level.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.