Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Community Spotlight - theniks & Surprise Guest

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

“it has been an amazing journey which has taken me places learning and working on AdWords.”

-Click here to find out more interesting info about theniks….

Q: Tell us about your career journey and how you got to where you are today.

A: I started my career as a freelancer in PHP which lead me to opportunity of being a project manager and partner in a small programming company in my home town. While working on programming projects, clients often asked me for changes which will help them in organic search, remarketing codes, analytics codes etc.  This got me curious about SEO and AdWords and I started studying more about these aspects and even started managing SEO projects and AdWords campaigns. One project which changed the direction of my career was an ecommerce portal. This client had in-depth knowledge about analytics and requested for several custom codes in analytics including custom variables, cookie timeouts , session timeouts , etc. While working on this project I consulted some of my friends who used to work in digital marketing and this led to me getting an job offer from a larger company in nearby metro. From there on I worked for 2 advertising agencies including one of the largest in India (Iprospect-Communicate2). While working with Iprospect-Communicate2 I was searching for solution to analytics problem and stumbled across AdWords Community, this gave me new an avenue to help others and express myself creatively via user articles. Since then it has been an amazing journey which has taken me places learning and working on AdWords and also landed me my current Job with Philly Marketing Labs.

Q: Speaking of Philly Marketing Labs… Snce we recently did a spotlight on Kim Clink, what's it like working with Kim and Tommy (who are also Top Contributors in the AdWords Community)  in the same office space?

A: Although I have started working for Philly Marketing Labs recently I been following Kim's work on community for a long time and known Tommy for last year. I have spent only few days with PML and I am astonished by the productivity and energy of the team despite the fact that practically everyone works from different locations.(Now i am thinking its not despite but because Smiley Very Happy ). The way Kim, Tommy and team PML works is truly out of the box and a lot more productive for clients compared to what I could have done seating in a cubical.

Q: Tell us about your best general Adwords experience?

A: For me working with AdWords is same thing as learning AdWords. Every time I start working on a new account it teaches me new things. New updates every few months just make it more exciting and especially last year has been revolutionary in that sense and honestly I am still catching up. I love this constant change and challenge to learn updates that just pumps a lot of adrenaline.

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow Adwords Community members?

A: I think irrespective of changes to interface and new campaign types, bidding techniques one of the pillars of AdWords remains unchanged and will remain that way is DATA. If you want to run an AdWords account successfully you just have to learn looking at data in unbiased way. Best way to make sense out of data is doing A/B or multivariate testing to find out winning strategies based on numbers and not hunch.

Q: What do you enjoy most about the Community?

A: Being active with Community is fun in many ways and practically hard to summarize in few words. I guess the highlights are while solving problems of other users it gets me ready in a way that if I come across those problems I already have solutions to them, interacting with other members in Community, TCs, RS, Community Managers exposes me to parts of AdWords to which I would have never had exposure. Other than professional stuff I am thankful to Community that it has given me few very good friends as well.

Q: Where would you like to see the AdWords Community go in the future?

A: During last year I have experienced Community growing exponentially and at this rate I hope within next few years the Community will be main source of support to advertisers. I love many to many relationship of community as opposed to one to one relationship of support. This way the support content grows in geometric progression and I hope it keeps growing the way it has grown in last year.

Q: Let’s do a hypothetical question, Say the Google AdWords design team approached you asking you what is the one feature you would like to add to AdWords. What would it be?

A: I would love to request more valuetrack parameters for example Campaign, Adgroup, Location, Search Query. I understand I can get these by using custom vars but its just a lot of coding Smiley Happy if these are part of valuetrack it will save a lot of time.

Q: Lastly, to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you? Or something cool or unique you’ve experienced?

A: Humm well readers who are located in non-commonwealth nations may not understand this, but “Googly” in cricketing terms means a ball which turns the other way than it’s supposed to turn. This reminds me of incident where I bowled all six balls in over as googlies and needless to say that barring 1st ball wicket everything else was hit out of the park.

COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT SURPRISE GUEST  - Ahmed Ali

BeFunky_p20120322-183c713.jpg.jpg

Q: To start off, give us some background on how you got started with PPC and specifically AdWords.

A: I am a tech geek who spends most of his day on the internet. In 2011 I created a tech blog and then I started writing articles and building blog content. I used some SEO tactics integrated with Google webmaster tools and Google Analytics to improve my blog organic search results, later on, I found out that  I had achieved more than 1 million views to my articles, then I joined Google AdSense publishers and made a little bit of money. That’s how I first got introduced to online marketing in general.
After one year of blogging, I read about a program called Google Student Ambassador (GSA). Every year Google chooses students to act as a liaison between Google and their universities. I applied for the program and fortunately I won and I became the GSA. My mission was to plan and host events on campus to bring awareness about Google products, competition and scholarships. After that I heard about Google Online Marketing Challenge (GOMC) . GOMC is a global competition for students, which enables them to experience and create online campaigns using Google AdWords. I liked the idea, so I decided to learn about AdWords, form a team and join the competition.

64033_4745114878659_986542585_n.jpg

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience? Funniest?

A: Certainly Google Online Marketing Challenge, it gave me the opportunity to launch my first AdWords campaign in May 2013, gain vast knowledge about AdWords and online marketing in general, get real business experience through working with clients and real money budget, write business reports, learn how to build and work in team.

I competed with over 12,000 students from 80 different countries. My team and I won the most successful AdWords campaign in the Middle East and Africa region and one of the best five AdWords campaigns in the world.

[CM JP: Congrats btw!]

BeFunky_VintageColors_1f.jpg.jpg

Q: What helpful AdWords tips would you like to share with your fellow Adwords Community members?

A: If you’ve some competitive keywords that your entire business is based on it and lead to most of your ads clicks and impressions, unfortunately these keywords cost you a lot and you want to lower bids on these keywords, but you may be afraid once you lower them, you will lose position and competition and miss clicks and impressions.

In my humble opinion, one of the best strategy to follow is to use Adwords Campaign Experiments (ACE), it allows you to test changes on a portion of the auction, so after a short while of running the experiment you can figure out what you should do. I liked to mention ACE as according to my knowledge a few advertisers use this feature. Perhaps they would like to try it now.

Q. What do you enjoy most about the Community?

A: The most valuable thing is to learn from members’ questions and acquire experience from AdWords experts, especially since I don’t have as much experience as them. Also, I really enjoy the Trivia competition, where people can learn, play and have fun.

Q: Where would you like to see the Adwords Community go in the future?

A: I wish we could see an Arabic AdWords community in the next few months, especially since there’s already an Arabic version of AdWords program and AdWords help center.

Q: Let’s do a hypothetical question: Say the Google AdWords design team approached you asking you what is the one feature you would like to add to AdWords. What would it be?

A: Google Drive and Google AdWords integration, so I can save AdWords reports directly to drive, share it with others and save space on my device. I can also import and  export keywords lists between them ,so no need to install additional program on my device like the Microsoft Office package (Excel). I can give other users the accessibility to edit and work with me on the same list simultaneously. I think there's a whole list of advantages we can get from that integration.

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you?

A: I am a dental student. Yes, I am studying dentistry and this is my final year. I think that’s cool.

[CM JP: Yes I agree that's pretty cool. You'll probably be the first AdWords Dentist. Nice!]

Tune in to the Community to find out who will be the next on the Spotlight interview. Want to be featured in the next Spotlight? Let us know by posting a reply on this thread.

6 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Community Spotlight - theniks & Surprise Guest

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yeah Nik and Ahmed! Nice work guys! JP - If you're still running these, I suppose my time has arrived. Smiley Happy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
OOh... Great profile stories...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Wait til you see next week's Spotlight ...!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@Theniks: you should play with Indian Cricket Team Smiley Very Happy
@Ahmed: Congratulations & Good Luck for your finals! Smiley Happy
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
@TheNik, Yeah, it has been amazing journey from coding to AdWords.
@Ahmed, congratulations & Keep up the good work Smiley Happy
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Cool stories Nik (The Googly guy) and Ahmed Smiley Happy

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you All , I appreciate that Smiley Happy