AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Community Spotlight - ScottyD

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

“I like the fact that the community is one of the most up to date places to learn about AdWords.”

-Read further for Scotty's full interview….

Q: Tell us about your career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your Business.

A: I have to thank my old high school teacher, Miss Patterson, for this one. I won an award for geography when I was 16 which entitled me to some book vouchers and with these I decided to purchase a book (among others) which discussed how to make money on the internet. The book was focused around AdSense so I started building content for a website but unfortunately never followed it through as school work became more intensive.

By the time I had finished high school at the age of 18 I was looking for work and noticed that a role for an AdWords Account Manager was being advertised in an international agency within the city. AdWords was something I had also studied at the same time as discovering AdSense so I decided to attend the interview (after some further research) and managed to get the role. Here I was educated by an ex Google employee who had originally worked in the Dublin office so I was able to progress rapidly and eventually allowed to manage AdWords accounts for large clients.

After a while the agency relocated back to the UK (I was in Spain at the time) so I decided to create my own website and take on more of a freelancer type role where I acquired my own clients and also expanded my knowledge in other areas of online marketing also. Not the most conventional way of getting into AdWords I imagine but it was an interesting adventure!

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience?

A: I am personally a big fan of when a new client approaches you for help and you are able to reduce their costs within a significantly short time period. The client is always so surprised and obviously happy at the same time, it’s a great feeling.

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow Adwords Community members?

A: Historical data is your best friend in AdWords. Use it to identify where your budget is being wasted, where it is generating your conversions and then make sure you take action on your findings. Don’t make the mistake of focusing on set time periods though (such as “All Time” for example) as considering more recent time periods will allow you to identify new trends which are more relevant to your current situation.

Q. What do you enjoy most about the community?

A: It’s hard to summarise this question but I like the fact that the community is one of the most up to date places to learn about AdWords. Here we have real people asking important questions about their AdWords accounts in present time meaning that this information is applicable to (nearly) everyone right now.

We have an excellent team of Googlers, Top Contributors, Rising Stars and regular contributing members who make this community a friendly and educational place to learn about AdWords; it’s lovely!

Q: What is your most recent contribution to the Community which you would like to highlight?

Over the last few months I have been hosting a weekly event called “AdWords Quizzical Pursuit” where I give the members of the community the chance to test their knowledge in order to become the “Community Quiz Champion”. The event consists of ten question quizzes which will sometimes follow particular themes and at other times just be a general pop quiz covering a range of AdWords topics.

So far we have had both Rising Stars and regular contributing members win the title of “Community Quiz Champion” which has been great to see. We have some excellent answers each week and the quizzes are actually full of golden nuggets of information and shared knowledge so I recommend everyone interested in learning about AdWords to check them out, even if you don’t feel like participating yourself.

Q: Where would you like to see the Adwords Community go in the future?

A: I always believe growth of those wanting to contribute their knowledge to the community is important. This year I have seen more and more members begin to contribute on a regular (sometimes daily) basis and this is awesome to see as it means there is a better chance of having every single advertiser having their question answered which is one of the main goals of the community!

Q: Let’s do a hypothetical question: Say the Google AdWords design team approached you asking you what is the one feature request you would like to add to AdWords. What would it be?

AdWords users with an interest in their own business will generally browse the internet looking at competitors, blogs and other sources of information related to their industry. Rather than having to copy a URL and navigate through the AdWords interface (or AdWords Editor) whenever stumbling upon a potential manual placement with AdSense, I have an idea that could speed things up significantly.

While browsing I may come across a site with AdSense that I wish to display my ads on. I hover my mouse over the ad which extends a small G+ style drop down menu asking me whether I would like to advertise there; upon clicking that a dialogue box opens asking me which campaign(s) and ad group(s) I wish to add the manual placement to. Obviously the user is required to be signed in to their appropriate Google account so they are prompted to do so if they are logged out.

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you? Or something you’ve experienced?

A: I’m a sports and outdoor enthusiast but I enjoy extreme sports more than anything. When I lived in Spain I would wakeboard most days during the summer and then snowboard of a winter. I remember one weekend I wakeboarded on the Saturday and then snowboarded on the Sunday! …oh, I’m also a bit of a gaming geek too.

Want to be the next spotlight icon? Just reply on this thread.

7 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Community Spotlight - ScottyD

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Ohh...this time Scott!

Really I like his thought about community and it is great experience for participating in Quizzical Pursuit.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Scotty D is the man! Well one of them for sure. Smiley Happy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey this is great to know other side of @ScottyD 

I wakeboarded on the Saturday and then snowboarded on the Sunday!---->

Wish it was a long weekend and we would have gotten to know more stuff about you Smiley Happy

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Go @ScottyD!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Congrats, Scott! That's kinda cheeky, you know, wakeboarding one day and snowboarding the other ... hmmm Smiley Happy
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Good to know more about you! Great!
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Just start reading community spotlight posts here. It's good to know about unsaid side of these professionals. Smiley Happy