Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Community Spotlight - Neha & Surprise Guest

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

“The beauty of AdWords is you need not to be a millionaire to advertise with it.”

-Continue below to read the full interview from one of our very own Rising Stars….

Q: Tell us about career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your Business.

A:  I studied B.Com (Honors) from Delhi University (India). I started my career as an SEO executive and this was the place where I first came to know about digital marketing. That was the first time I understood how we get results in search engines for a search query. My expression was “WOW!” there must be a lot of brains working at the backend to make this happen. While doing this, I stumbled across and gained interest in Paid Advertising – PPC. I shifted my interest solely from Organic to Paid advertisement. My relevant AdWords journey started from Jan 2010. Since then, I’m hooked with and enjoy every single second spent on AdWords.

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience?

A: My experience with Google AdWords has always been pleasant. Online industry is growing so rapidly that it’s hard to imagine something which doesn’t have an online presence. Coming to AdWords – It is a very powerful tool whether to advertise to increase the brand value or to sell product and services. It’s perfect to reach right audience at right time on the right device. The ever changing behaviour of AdWords never lets me feel bored. There is always something new to implement/test. The beauty of AdWords is you need not to be a millionaire to advertise with it. AdWords is the perfect fit for all business – small, medium and large.

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow Adwords Community members?

A: For AdWords: If I am allowed to share two tips (very general tips):

1. The most important step for any advertiser would be a neatly prepared campaign structure. A good campaign structure gives you long term benefits.

2. Always prepare separate campaign structure for search and display network.

For Community: Whatever you learn, try to give it back to the Community by sharing your knowledge based “hands on”experience with AdWords. Sharing is Caring!

[CM JP Note: That’s two tips but we’ll include it since they are both so helpful]

Q. What do you enjoy most about the Community?

A: Okay, so while searching for something (I don’t remember) on Google about AdWords I fortunately stumbled on the Community.The one thing which impressed me was the “user friendly” nature of the Community. While reading more, I came across great answers by great minds. Then, I, too thought to answer some questions and also asked some questions.

I am amazed to see response by ample members. Sometimes it’s very quick – within a few seconds. I can see professionals take the time from their busy schedule and answer questions based on personal experiences with the product. Plus, the Community is not limited to a certain country or culture - anyone can ask and reply to questions.

I enjoy answering questions and reading other posts and articles on the community. Here, we learn from others’ experiences with AdWords as well as share thoughts based on our own experience. I enjoy talking to professionals from around the globe. It’s always a pleasure to connect with the AdWords folks. Glad to "earn" some friends too. Smiley Happy

Q: What is your most recent contribution to the Community which you would like to highlight?

A: Yep, I would like to highlight articles that I posted recently with +TheNiks for "Author of the Month" contest.

Below are the article Links:

"Resolutions 2014 of AdWords Manager"

"Adwords Important Updates 2013 - Down The Memory Lane"

"'Resolutions 2014 of Adwords Manager' is also posted on PT forum of Adwords Community." (Resoluções 2014 para um gerente de contas AdWords).

Q: What is your take on "Rising Star" position on the community? What do you advise other member who wants to be rising star?

A. I like the idea of "Rising Star" & I like the star next to my name & I love private forums for RS where I can suggest Ideas/ raise concerns. To grab this position I would advise new members to impress by giving quality answers and maintain consistency. It won't be wrong if I say, I, myself have seen improvement in my AdWords skills since I joined the Community. Even if I am for some reasons not able to find time to answer questions I kept reading other posts. Sometimes I was astounded to found my assumptions wrong which helped me grow not only as an AdWords professional but also as a person.

Q: Let’s do a hypothetical question: Say the Google AdWords design team approached you asking you what is the one feature you would like to add to AdWords. What would it be?

A: Thank you for asking this question JP, I knew this is coming! Smiley Happy We were asked same question in the community last to last year "If you were an AdWords Engineer.." We saw some awesome ideas, everyone was so excited in a hope that some of the ideas will get noticed. And guess what, Google do listen and fulfilled some of our demands (this thread shows how demanding we are Smiley Happy.

Now hoping that writing this to Google...

Dear Google,

With due respect of "Enhanced Campaign", on behalf of AdWords advertisers who wants to have some control over Tablet device, please provide us with tablet level bid adjustment same as mobile device. We are not asking for "mobile only campaigns" as we are very much aware this is not gonna happen. But if we can get control over tablet device, this will be Awesome feature. Please Google!

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you? Or something you’ve experienced?

A: Very tough questions for me JP. Well, I am not sure if I am cool or not, but I love travelling and sadly I don't get much chance to travel. My coolest trip so far was Dubai trip. I had amazing amazing time in Dubai. Surprisingly, I have had four outings in that same year!!!! Smiley Happy

COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT SURPRISE GUEST - BETHANY B

”It boggles my mind to think about how much the platform has developed and grown in the last 4 years but it’s been fun trying to keep up!"

-Read below to find out more about Bethany….

Q: To start off, give us some background on how you got started with PPC and specifically AdWords.

A: I got started in paid search in 2010. I had just graduated and getting a job was tough in that economy. Luckily, I was contacted by a company that was looking for PPC/SEO account managers. I responded immediately and then went to Wikipedia to find out what those acronyms stood for. I remember thinking to myself “no one really clicks those ads on Google, do they?” Turns out I was very wrong.

I had a fantastic 3-month training into everything AdWords and have been managing accounts ever since. It boggles my mind to think about how much the platform has developed and grown in the last 4 years but it’s been fun trying to keep up!

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience? Funniest?

A: I get the most joy going through the search term reports for my accounts. There was a period a few years ago where no matter what client I was working searches including “justin bieber” were triggering ads in all of the accounts. Justin Bieber bedding, Justin Bieber autobiography, Justin Bieber everything. It’s always fun to see what people type in to Google.

One of the accounts I currently run is for our company’s AdWords/Analytics training program and this search term popped up: 

How the F to learn ppc.png

Q: As an AdWords speaker for Google Partners and a Cardinal Path Trainer, what's a good beginner’s tip you could share with your fellow Adwords Community members?

A: There are so many important tips, but if I had to pick just one I would say the importance of ad group structure. The biggest mistake I see when looking at attendee accounts is ad groups with way too many keywords, typically 100+ in each. Your ad groups must be tightly-themed, with all ads being able to speak to all keywords.

The story I like to share is about one of my first accounts I managed. The account was consistently hitting 80% of its conversion goal monthly. I restructured ad groups into smaller groups of keywords and wrote very targeted ads. That was the only change I made; landing pages, bids, and budgets all stayed the same. Within 2-months the account was at 120% of conversion goal from increased CTR and Quality Scores. Account structure is incredibly important to AdWords success.

Q. What do you enjoy most about the Community?

A: I enjoy how friendly everyone is and how willing they are to help each other out. I’m not afraid to ask ‘dumb’ questions.

Q: Where would you like to see the Adwords Community go in the future?

A: I would like to see the community continue to grow in involvement. I just started getting active in the last few months and wish I used it as a resource when I was first starting out. There are a ton of great AdWords minds out there that aren’t involved in the community. I also think it would be fun to have meet-ups in different locations.

Q: Let’s do a hypothetical question: Say the Google AdWords design team approached you asking you what is the one feature you would like to add to AdWords. What would it be?

A: This is a great question. For short term, I’d really love to have more visibility into Search Partners instead of opting in or out of the network as a whole. Thinking longer term, and because I spend way too much time on YouTube, I think it’d be awesome one day to see something you like in a video, click on it and be taken to the place to buy it. Immediate gratification.

[CM JP's Note: As someone who has recently gotten into video creation and a YouTuber, I wholeheartedly agree with your latter idea!]

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you?

A: I can play exactly one song upside-down on the piano, Stand By Me. I was inspired by the Nickelodeon show Figure It Out, but apparently not inspired enough to learn more than one song.

Tune in to the Community to find out who will be the next on the Spotlight interview. Want to be featured in the next Spotlight? Let us know by posting a reply on this thread.

6 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Community Spotlight - Neha & Surprise Guest

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Humm

@Neha Gupta thought you were scared of heights Smiley Happy It was fun co-authoring articles with you.

welcome to community @Bethany

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Ohhh.. ..  @Neha Gupta in the spotlight. Smiley Happy

@bethany:  Welcome to the community. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Nice Interview @Neha Gupta !!!!

@Bethany, Welcome to AdWords Community Smiley Happy 

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Nice Interview Neha, Good to know more about community members like this Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This is cool @Neha Gupta Smiley Happy. Nice interview.

@Bethany, welcome to the AdWords Community!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
@JP: Thanks for taking out time and posting it.
@Nik: Well, first time ever you guessed it right! I do get scared from heights! Smiley Happy
@Moshe: Surprisingly Smiley Happy
@Rakesh, Nisal & Pankaj: Thank you so much!

+1 Bethany B. Good to know about you! Welcome to the community & Looking forward to see you around in here.
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Neha and Bethany, congrats on being in the spotlight Cat Very Happy

The interviews are inspirational and it's really nice to see the other part of your lives.

All the best to you both Smiley Happy.