AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Community Spotlight - David Szetela

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Today’s Special guest for the Community Spotlight is David Szetela, Owner and CEO, FMB Media and author of the books: “Customers Now” and “PPC Advertising on One Hour a Day.”

Continue below to read the full interview….

Q: Tell us about your career choice and how you ended up using AdWords with your business.

A: Prior to my introduction to AdWords, I worked in marketing positions at newsletter and magazine publishing companies. I learned all the rudiments of direct mail marketing, including form and message testing, list testing and response analysis. it was all a series of marketing experiments, with one big detriment: we had to wait weeks or even months to accumulate actionable data.

In 2003 I became aware of AdWords, and I was instantly hooked. It was direct marketing on steroids, with actionable data accumulating in just days. I decided to focus my career on PPC campaign management, and have never regretted it.

Q: Tell us about your best AdWords experience?

A: My agency charges clients based on our performance. For example, for B2C clients we'll charge a percentage of the profit we generate using AdWords. One of our first clients offered us a tiered commission structure, with a generous percentage if we met or exceeded the top tier of sales.

He said, "You'll never hit that target anyway." We hit the target in just six weeks. The client then renegotiated the commission structure because they felt they were paying us too much!

[CM JP: The former is something that every Agency hopes will happen everytime!]

Q: What's one lesson or tip you want to share with your fellow Adwords Community members?

A: It's widely felt that advertising on the Google Display Network is risky and likely to waste money. In fact, using the proper techniques, the GDN can work very well for almost any advertiser. First, use targeting to place ads on sites frequented by the target audience. Second, in general don't use more than one targeting method per ad group - otherwise the reach of the ad group might be severely restricted. Third, "soft" or free offers work well; offer a free catalog, whitepaper or webinar.

Q. What do you enjoy most about the Community?

A: I love the sense of camaraderie - the willingness of PPC managers from beginners to experts, to share resources and help with troubleshooting.

Q: Where would you like to see the Adwords Community go in the future?

A: I'd love to see regular - annual? - face-to-face gatherings, where Community members share presentations, network and have fun! Perhaps these could be held on a regional basis.

Q: Let’s do a hypothetical question: Say the Google AdWords design team approached you asking you what is the one feature you would like to add to AdWords. What would it be?

A: I'm one of many AdWords users who wish there were more-frequent releases of AdWords Editor, with support for new AdWords features as early as possible. For example, I'd love to see support for Labels, flexible bid strategies, call extensions. I rely heavily on Editor to get AdWords work done quickly - it's one of the 3 apps that's always open on my desktop (the other two being Excel and the Chrome browser).  

Q: Lastly to end our interview on a Googley note, tell us something cool about you? Or something you’ve experienced?

A: I once wore Neil Young's tie while giving a speech in San Francisco. It was paisley (of course).

Tune in to the Community to find out who will be the next on the Spotlight interview. Want to be featured in the next Spotlight? Let us know by posting a reply on this thread.

7 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Community Spotlight - David Szetela

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Nice interview and this sound like super cool idea Smiley Very Happy

" regular - annual? - face-to-face gatherings, where Community members share presentations, network and have fun! "

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I enjoyed reading your AdWords experience David. It's good to have you as part of the community!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Big Icon in PPC industry!
It is great to see your personal and professional experience in AdWords communitySmiley Happy
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Nisal,

I agree it would be a great idea for members of our Community to get together for local meetups. I know of other Google Communities that have local meet ups even with the CM's participating when they can.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi John,

Yes because here at my country we have regular Google meetups from Google business group and Google Developer group. Likewise if we can start a program like that for Adwords it would be awesome.

https://plus.google.com/104855956626529209027/posts

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Great Interview!! I like the idea about regular - annual meetings! As we meet with members here regularly on forums, face to face meetings would make it more interesting!

- Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Ohhh... Haven't know all of that about David;
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I've been a fan of David's work for years. Great to see him highlighted here in the community.