Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

12 Questions with David Kyle

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Today we're bringing you the third installment in our "new and improved "  Community Member of the week series, in which we learn more about the background and everyday life of a fellow member of the AdWords Community.

@David Kyle is a PPC professional who you've most likely met around the Community already (he's a very frequent Top Starred Member). Read below to learn more about David's life outside the AdWords Community.

davidquestions 

1. What are 3 words you would use to describe yourself?

Logician, open-minded, steadfast.

2. What did you want to be when you grew up?

A fighter pilot.

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 8.50.00 AM.pngI was ranked #1 in the state for the state pinball championships, and the newspaper came by to do a story. I finished 7th place, so I can no longer claim #1.

3. What do you do for work now?

I manage paid search and display for my clients. Most of my direct clients are attorneys. I also support other ad agencies on a part-time basis.

4. How long have you been using AdWords?

I started doing PPC with Overture in 2001 for my own e-commerce sites. I didn’t get on board with AdWords until late 2005. The first time I was hired to do AdWords for someone else was in 2007.

5. What is the most recent piece of AdWords knowledge you’ve learned?

Jon Gritton recently shared a neat trick with remarketing lists and custom combinationsIt changed the way I think about them.

6. Best marketing advice you’ve ever received?

Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. This is so crucial to understand when analyzing data in AdWords and Analytics. I regret I don’t recall where I first heard it.

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 8.49.43 AM.pngAWCS 2014 Iron Chef Sushi winners w/ Calin, Pankaj, and Helen. (I was the weak link in that contest.)

7. What’s your favorite place you’ve traveled to?

Hope I’m not judged for this, but it’s Amsterdam. It truly is an international meeting place. I felt like I met someone from almost every country in the world while I was there.  

8. What’s unique about where you live now?

Bill Murray lives here.

9. What does a typical day look like for you?

There is no typical day. I just go with the flow based on client needs. Some days I have to get up really early to help an agency client prepare a presentation for a new prospect. Some days I have to pull an all-nighter to meet a deadline, and then I end up sleeping until noon. I enjoy the flexibility this profession provides. I can pretty much work from anywhere as long as I have an Internet connection.

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 8.49.50 AM.pngWerid Al concert in October.

10. If you had an extra hour every day, how would you spend it?

The best way I could based on whatever is going on that day.

11. What’s been the most fun experience you’ve had or project you’ve worked on in the past year?

For work the most fun work related experience, I’d like another 0.5 years so I can say AWCS2014.  It was great to meet so many awesome people in person. I was a bit starstruck, but everyone was super nice. The event was great, but the highlight for me were the dinner meetups afterwards.

12. What’s coming up this year that you’re most excited for?

Bid adjustments for tablets? One can hope, right? 

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 12 Questions with David Kyle

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks for participating, David!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Great background article and introduction of Dave.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@CassieH @MosheTLV

Thanks for having me!

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Great as always  @David Kyle

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@David Kyle Great Interview!  

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Neha Gupta @Eric Gehler

Thanks y'all!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Great to learn more about you @David K! What's he like, Weird Al? I kinda like him too.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

@Julia_Muller

Thanks! That picture was from one of those "Get in line for your 20 second experience" type deals, so I didn't get to talk to him a whole lot. He was cool, but it was a very controlled interaction.