Partners
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Announcements of events, new products, and updates from Google.
Guide Me
star_border

What's the one piece of advice you'd give to anyone starting a business?

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

grow_your_business_screen_3_post

As part of Small Business Week, we want to give a helping hand to aspiring entrepreneurs. And we thought it’d be a great idea to pool the collective knowledge on this forum to provide some advice.

So, we’d love to hear your thoughts or insights on what you’ve learned from starting or working with a small business - and what advice you’d share with people in the same position?

Our favorite answers will be included in a resource for Google Partners and shared across Partners social channels. Make sure you include your name and the name of your business in case you’re featured!

Thanks in advance for your participation.

5 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Krisha,

Small Business Week is certainly something to celebrate since all businesses started as a small business. Smiley Happy

My advice would be to: set goals, say no often, and know your limits.

1. Small businesses need goals to succeed. Without setting goals, you will get lost in the processes and time will eat away at your limited resources. Track your time and know your benchmarks.  
  2. Small businesses say yes far too often. When you take on something not ideal for you, you lose time, energy and focus. Soon you will be scrambling to take anything, which will lead to everything being lost.
  3. Small businesses must know their abilities & limitations. If you do not know your limits, you will tread too deep into dangerous waters and soon need a life preserver to stay afloat.   

As a business consultant, I find these three points apply across the board. And as a business owner since 1992, I find that these three points are critical to a way of thinking needed to succeed today. 

All the Best,

James

Founder & Developer

Mica Specialties

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hi Krisha,

As a start-up founder, here is my shortlist:

1. Get a Definite Chief Aim (personal/business), read Bruce Lee's DCA here: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/03/my-definite-chief-aim.html

2. As a mastermind, you read a lot but it's very important to know when it's time to take action

3. Read: Without Their Permission: The Story of Reddit and a Blueprint for How to Change the World by Alexis Ohanian. You can get a copy from Amazon and I believe he is offering the PDF version for free

4. Solve a problem with your product/service and give more damns than your competitors do

5. Meditation 5 to 10 minutes, I use headspace app...

6. Connect with other founders/start-ups for support

Arthur Yeranosyan

Founder

Geoklix.com

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Be brave.  Be fearless - As often as you can.  Get used to hearing "no" and keep pushing forward.  Don't give up!

Re: What's the one piece of advice you'd give to anyone starting a business?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

What's the one piece of advice you'd give to anyone starting a business? Owning a small business, which I’ve spent a lifetime doing, is not for the faint of heart – nor for the unmotivated. If asked what I’ve learned in my years as the owner, founder, chief executive, I’d say it all boils down to an acceptance of ultimate responsibility. With that acceptance comes need – your need and that of your family, the needs of your customers and employees, and, finally, the public in general. You have to meet those needs and, if you want success, you have to meet them all – not any single one. So, you have to be the driving force behind everything. You’re the source of the capital. You’re the source of the leads and the sales. You’re the source of the paychecks. You’re the source for all the motivation that matters. When the company loses, you lose. When the company needs, you deliver – no matter the cost. It’s the ultimate test for the ultimate reward. And, at the end of the day, it’s all on you and, if you’re anything like me, that’s exactly the way it should be.

What's the one piece of advice you'd give to someone working with small businesses? Working with small businesses, from a digital marketing perspective, can be an emotional roller-coaster ride from month to month. Why? Because the bill from Google for their AdWords spend may very well be the most expensive thing they pay each month after their mortgage or lease. So, an agency must be transparent and willing to educate. They must be as much counselor and accountant as marketer. It requires patience, openness, and a process that includes the small business in every way possible. That way the mystery is replaced with understanding and the business can feel comfortable continuing along the course we’ve set. Digital marketing takes a commitment on the part of the client that, with small businesses, must be continually nurtured to ensure viability. Plus, most have been burned by unscrupulous companies before, so they’re even more wary and quick to mistrust. The best approach is the most obvious – detail and deliver. Give them all the information they require and then some, and deliver the best returns you can every month – along with clear and thorough reporting. If you do that consistently, even the most difficult small business can become a successful client.

The single most important piece of advice I can give to anyone working as a small business, or with them, is summed up in one line - "Some will, some won't, so what? Next!" Life is short. Too short to worry over what doesn't work, so focus your energy on what does. As long as you do that, you'll never be too far away from success.

#GooglePartners & #SmallBusinessWeek 

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Never quit, be fearless, and PLAN, planning is so important when running a small business.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great post Krisha. 

I would give the same advice I was given for 15 years "A black belt is a white belt that never gave up" it's just that simple.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Don't fear failure, you can't do it alone & always pay your people what they are worth.

Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My advice from working with small businesses for 20 years now is to consult a financial consultant as well as a marketing consultant versed in both traditional and digital marketing well before starting the business.  Take their advice.  They most likely know more about the subjects than you, your stock-boy, or your uncle Rufus. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Get your marketing avenues in place before launching your business. Marketing is everything. You could have the best product in the world but without the clients, leads, and marketing, what do you have? Do keyword research and make sure there is a demand for your product. Obviously, everyone here already took the most important step, getting Adwords certified. However; Adwords can quickly drain your budget if you go overboard. Just because you are certified, still start small. Make sure before launching your campaign at a large budget, start small to ensure your conversions and goals are met, then increase your budget gradually as revenue comes in. One of the biggest mistakes that I see Adwords advertisers make is that they try to cram too much into one ad group. Really separate your Ad groups to be themed, you can't go overboard with this concept. Make sure your keywords in an ad group are in line with the landing page's URL, page title and call to action. Also, if you are starting a business and not sure about the products you plan to sell, Adwords can be a way of testing your products. When my company introduces new products, we will set up an Adwords campaign to test the product and see if people buy, before fully launching. We call it our beta testing phase.