AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Announcements of events, new products, and updates from Google.
Guide Me
star_border

Googler Spotlight: Ian Estabrook

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager
This post was pulled from the Google Partners - North America Community

Today, we’re introducing our second Googler product expert, Ian Estabrook. Like Kenneth Hamilton, whom we introduced Tuesday, Ian is an account strategist from the North American Advertiser Services group. He will be posting and answering questions related to mobile, as well as other AdWords-related topics.

headshot.jpg

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Tell us a bit about your path to becoming a Googler.

My path to Google began first semester of my senior year at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I was pursuing classes in computer science as a part of my minor and exploring ways that technology blended with advertising (my major). Coincidentally, several of my classes alluded to products such as AdWords and Analytics as major players in an evolving advertising landscape, and I knew I had found my niche. I immediately began dedicating both personal and academic studies towards automated and tech-based advertising.

Armed with my newfound interest, the following semester led me on a trip to California as a part of an advertising immersion class. We visited major ad agencies such as TBWA Chiat-Day, Deutsch, and Goodby, Silverstein & Partners to learn more about the industry and get a chance to network. We also had a “tech day,” where we visited Twitter and Google. As soon as I stepped foot on the MTV campus, I knew Google was where I belonged. Some fruitful chats, lots of networking, an employee referral later, and here I am!

Which skills do you consider indispensable to your work?

A couple of variables form the cornerstone of my work:

• Building rapport. This is something I strive for right off the bat.
• Highest quality content via leveraging my resources and amazing network here at Google.
• Exciting presentation. Anything I write or present will be done in an upbeat, humanistic tone. Dry, dense stuff has never been my bag.

If I had to sum it up in a sentence, I’d say, “Make it the best and make it human.”

The above principles have always led to the success both for clients and for myself… All while having fun and learning along the way.

What most excites you about working with the Google Partners Community?

I’m stoked to share insights, learn, and immerse myself in conversation with some of the best and brightest in the industry. They say you are the average of the people you surround yourself with, and I’d say I’m in great company in the Google Partners Community.

What is the most important thing our members should know about mobile advertising?

The buzz phrase in the industry is, “Mobile is the future.”

Which is wrong.

Mobile isn’t the future. Mobile is right now.

In May 2015, Google reported that “...more Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers in 10 countries including the US and Japan.” Thus, having a mobile strategy is more important now than ever. It isn’t something to add to the “To Do” list - it’s priority number one. Here’s a handy guide to get started (https://goo.gl/DQDqzI).

If you could use just one Google product other than AdWords for the rest of your life, which would you pick?

YouTube, for sure. Not just for entertainment purposes, but for education as well. I’ve learned so much from YouTube - from DIY projects to coding help to proper squat form - that I consider it an irreplaceable part of my daily life.

When you’re not at Google, or in front of a computing device, what are you most likely to be doing?

If I’m not at work, you’ll definitely find me buried in a book, writing, or at the gym. Reading and writing were my first passions in life, and health & fitness is central to who I am. Fitness not only helped me turn my life around health-wise, but it also bleed into my love of writing and helped me get published both in a book and online to help share my journey and inspire others.

And to round things out… A couple shots of my good side. Smiley Happy

#GPCommunity

ian with baby.jpegian with face paint.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Googler Spotlight: Ian Estabrook

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks for sharing Yvonne, great bio Ian!