It’s annoying when a sitelink in AdWords doesn’t gain clicks or impressions. Sometimes, these issues are technical and only a specialist can fix the underlying problem. Most of the time, however, you can solve the issue yourself.
Below a checklist a specialist goes through to understand why sitelinks are not serving.
- Target the sitelink and note whether it’s on the campaign level or ad group level.
- Check how many sitelinks are running in the Ad Extensions tab. Two is the minimum, so if there is only one, create one more.
- Make sure each sitelink leads to a different landing page. Our policy requires a sitelink serve a unique URL different from your ads and other sitelinks.
- Make sure there are text ads running in the ad group with the sitelink extension. Afterall, sitelinks are extensions of text ads. As such, text ads are required to run sitelinks.
- Segment by click type to make sure that sitelinks are really not accruing impressions. Segmenting by click type will break down clicks and impressions of the ads and extensions.
- If it’s only recently that sitelinks stopped serving, download a daily report on the sitelink extensions tab. See which day the sitelinks stopped serving. After that, head over to that day on Change History to see what changes could have caused that.
- Check for duplicates by clicking each of the sitelinks and seeing whether you are taken to unique pages. Here’s more on the duplicates policy: "Each sitelink must point to different content"
If you’ve done all this and still can’t solve the issue, please contact AdWords Support and we’ll be happy to a closer look.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.