As an advertising agency or small business owner, the end of the year is both exciting and a bit concerning. There are things you can do to capture more of the excitement, which will also work to put your nerves at bay, too.
The first action to take is to assess 2016’s performance and compare it to the goals you set for it. Did you achieve them? Did you make great strides in some areas by totally miss the mark for others? Spending a little time thinking through this will spark a thought process that will fuel your future.
Goals are important to shape a preferred outcome. And having a preferred outcome will put you more in control of your unique journey, which will calm the nerves and eliminate unwanted actions. Uncertainty is what causes our nerves to flare up. And not having a plan in place tends to cause our nerves to fire up.
Let’s get down to business and zero in on some actionable things you can do.
- Create or revise a operations manual for your business.
- Update your 2017 business plan.
- Review & refresh your website, social media, advertising and branding.
- Research new features in AdWords and get more from your advertising budget.
- Audit current products & services for compatibility & profitability.
- Research new products & services you can offer.
- Audit all of your vendors and negotiate new deals.
- Review and refresh your Google My Business listing.
- Send out a thank you card to all of your 2016 clients.
- Reorganize your workspace and remove clutter.
- Clean up & refresh your storefront.
- Buy new branded work shirts for you and your staff.
- Plan to attend one Chamber of Commerce or community event each month.
- Plan to get published in print (your local paper, trade magazine, etc.) once a quarter.
- Interview each of your team members and ask what their goals are for 2017.
- Automate your processes as much as possible. Embrace technology.
- Remove negativity from your life.
- Use new words. Words are wisdom.
- Think bigger and reach for new heights.
- Be kind, professional, gracious and sincere.
Along with tips, be sure to write down your goals and chart their progress every two weeks, if not sooner. I do not think goals should be screaming at us at every moment, but burying them will not get them done, either. Find that balance that works for you.
These are just a few ideas to get you rolling into 2017 with a plan for success. They will all help you obtain greater success… quicker. As you think through each idea, more will follow. You can make the most of your thought process by starting a workbook for 2017 and writing down all of the ideas you dream up. Add to it whenever you can and remove those that get replaced with better ones. Planning for success is a dynamic process that needs to be steady & solid, yet totally flexible.
Do you have some tips & tricks that you use to jump start your new year? Share them here and help others tackle 2017 with gusto!
Best Wishes on Your Unique Journey,
J. Clemens, Panama City Beach, FL -- I am a Google AdWords, Analytics and Mobile Sites Certified Individual serving businesses throughout the United States. My agency, Mica Specialties, is a Google Partner and technology consultancy involved in all aspects of marketing, web development, computer design, and IT services. Mica Specialties was founded in 1992 with deep roots in product design. I am an avid fan of Alphabet (and their products) and enjoy learning while helping others.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.