# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rancho Santa Fe Cosmetic & Family Dentistry

5525 Cancha De Golf Ste 102

Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92091

858-367-3058

https://plus.google.com/110347830709476114543

Hey Guys,

Was hoping you could help me with the issue I'm running into. My address keeps displaying as 5525 Cancha De Golf #102 rather than Ste 102. I'm trying to keep everything consistent, but google simply won't update the # to Ste . Is this just a default that google does?

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brennon D
October 2016

"Ste 102" in address keeps changing to #102

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I wouldn't worry about it at all. They both mean the same thing as far as Google is concerned.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Brennon D I have submitted the change via Google MapMaker and it should be approved in 72 hours. 

So you know Google is smart enough to ignore the different between # and suite when it comes to citations. So even if the edit does not stick, I would not worry about it. 

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay awesome, thanks guys! Really appreciate it. As long as I'm not going to be penalized for it, I'm not going to sweat it.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Ben F - just an FYI using the word "suite" is actually against MapMaker guidelines so if someone on that side reviews the edit, it will get denied. You're only allowed to enter either numbers or #+the number https://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/1096053?hl=en

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

As Map Maker is closing, what is the comparable help page with guidelines for adding the designator in the secondary address when editing in Google Maps?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

since we here in the GMB forum I can provide the GMB help Center for address entries:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/2853879?hl=en

But I noticed recently adding or entering suite numbers a Suite 123 or Ste A could be reverted to #123 or #A

ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

There's no guideline on that page about the style of the secondary address.

I have a theory:

The listing's owner can't tell what the source of the address information is in various Google Products, whether it's the business profile maintained in Google My Business or from the address location information associated with the point of interest on Google Maps. The latter was likely set up according to Map Maker guidelines, hence the use of "#" as the unit designator in the secondary address.

With the pending shut down of Make Maker, only the newest points of interest weren't set up on Google Maps using Map Maker. I'd love to know if the location owner can choose his own unit designator (from the controlled vocabulary in the United States Postal Service or that nation's addressing standard) or if it'll get changed to "#".

You know what would be particularly helpful? If I'm managing a Google product or looking at the listing's Dashboard, I'd like there to be an explicit statement that the address shown is maintained in the Google My Business listing or in Map Maker (or whatever will replace Map Maker). Even more helpful would be if the address could be maintained in one place and not two places.