My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

"Hair Salon" category not available, but all competitors have it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Very simple issue, can't find a solution:

Hair salon business, however the category "Hair Salon" is not available for selection. Forces me to select "beauty salon" as the closet option (and hairdresser as a secondary). Problem is the business isn't a beauty salon, worse still, all competitors have the "hair salon" category set for themselves and I fear this is impacting Adwords etc.

Why is the category of "hair salon" not available? thx.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: "Hair Salon" category not available, but all competitors

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Nicolas P

Looking in my categories I get Hairdresser

screencapture (9).png

So I am assuming you are in the US ( hair salon being US terminology )

I then looked in mapmaker and there is certainly a hair salon category. Could you check again, that hair salon is not provided.

screencapture (10).png

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
It could be that the settings on your Google account have you in a different country (not the USA) so you are seeing that country's categories.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thx for the reply, I do have certain options to choose from (8 options) but hair salon isn't in the list. If I try and force "hair salon" and save the option, I get " we didn't understand your category. Please select from the suggestions that appear when typing". Pretty frustrating when everybody else in Ottawa (Canada) has "hair salon". I mean why would categories be any different between the US and Canada? That's crazy to me.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm in Ottawa, Canada. How would I go about changing my country just to get the proper category to fit? Is that even advisable? How are all the other salons in Ottawa successfully choosing "hair salon" when that option just isn't available to me?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What I am seeing is that older salons have the coveted "hair salon" but newer salon are forced to select less accurate categories like "beauty salon" or even "hair centre". So potentially the category was present but got removed in Canada some time ago? Could you guys reinstate it? Why Canada doesn't have all the categories the US has is a little silly in my opinion. One thing that does seem apparent is a slightly higher propensity for bounce rates since "beauty salon" entails services that are more for spas (nail care etc) so people get our site erroneously because of poor categorization options, recently I've started adding a lot of negative keywords to my adwords to try and fix this and sure that just good practices but still, proper categorization should be available. (For those using "hair centre" I'm not even sure what that entails, men's looking for hair transplants? lol).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Frustrating. Honestly, Google having different categories for Canada than the US is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Guess I"ll have to find a hack for it by faking a US account.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
use "hair dresser" instead

"Hair Salon" category not available, but all competitors have it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

SAMEE BEAUTY PARLOUR  ONLY WOMENBANJARA HILLS , ROAD NO -10ZAHARA NAGAR.  

CELL- 7396400118