Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

my verified business does not show on google maps when searched by keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a Physio business, and when people search for the name of the business (Cam Johnson Physiotherapy), I come up on google searches.

Unfortunately, if someone tries to search for physiotherapists in my area (for example Physiotherapists in Carine), I do not show. I have a verified google business page, have multiple references throughout my webpage (in meta description, Yoast SEO page tile, page content etc).

Do you have any advice?

Thanks,
Cam Johnson
Cam Johnson Physiotherapy
11 Silver Place, Carine
(08) 9246 1421

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: my verified business does not show on google maps when searched by keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Cam J

if doing a search for  your category  near Carine I get yu top ranked in the three pack:

Screenshot 2016-06-15 at 11.13.58.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut -

Thanks for your reply.

I see that you're using Chrome - Does that make a difference? I'm using internet explorer and a search of "Physio Carine" doesn't come up for me. (This is the search that I'm trying to maximise in Australia).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I don't think its a browser matter.
Maybe the reason I get you is: I'm searching from Germany - but using
www.google.com/?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
HI Cam

I just tried searching for Physio Carine from Canberra and wasn't able to find you at all. There are some things that I think could be causing this, and it all comes back to Google's level of trust in you.

1. There are not a lot of mentions of your business at that Carine address online. Take a look at the list of AU citations here: https://www.whitespark.ca/top-local-citation-sources-by-country and pick the directories that make the most sense for you.

2. Use Google's own Map of your business for your Clinic page, rather than a generic one. The code for that Map is this:
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m8!1m3!1d13555.404380007256!2d115.773922!3d-31.856267!3m... width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Use schema.org to mark up your address and your business type in your website.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much guys.

I'll try those suggestions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Cam J - when I search 'physical therapist carine australia' I do see you letter A in the maps listings >> https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&ei=iHSSUsKcBoLzkQfQoIGgDg&ved=0CBcQ1S4#q=physical+therapist+Cari...

Are you a clinic? or an independent therapist? this matters because there's a category for each. Currently your primary category is "Physical Therapist", so if you are a clinic I would recommend switching your primary category.

You need to switch out that map on your homepage with an actual embed of your Google Maps business listing (as recommended by @PriyaC) --- here's the code to use:

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d3388.8510956905693!2d115.77173331515888!3d-31.... width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The NAP in your footer needs to be wrapped in Schema -- here's the code for that based on your Google My Business Address:

<div itemscope itemtype="http://health-lifesci.schema.org/Physiotherapy">
<span itemprop="name">Cam Johnson Physiotherapy</span>
<div itemprop="address" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/PostalAddress">
<span itemprop="streetAddress">11 Silver Pl</span> <span itemprop="addressLocality">Carine WA 6020</span>, <span itemprop="addressCountry">Australia</span><br/>
<span itemprop="telephone">+61 8 9246 1421</span>
</div>
</div>

Message me here once you add it and I'll come back around and make sure it's straight.

As you can see in the first line, there is actually a "Physiotherapy" extension in the Schema library (which is pretty awesome!).

The current address in the footer of your website is inconsistent with the address in your Google My Business page. This is a HUGE problem as consistent of location data is critically important. For example, the phone # currently on your website is (08) 9246 1421, and the phone # on your G+ page is +61 8 9246 1421. Now, I'm not from Australia so perhaps that is the same thing - but I'm looking at it empirically, so... the point is, exact consistency is key.

Likewise on your Facebook page, your local business address is inconsistent with your website. The street address on your Facebook page is "11 Silver Place
Carine, WA" and the one on your G+ page is "11 Silver Place, Carine WA 6020". Again, not from Australia though and I'm looking at this at face value. Since Facebook is a highly authoritative citation source that's also crawled and indexed by Google, this is a critical platform for consistency.

Finally, I recommend using Moz Local ($84 per year) to submit your business listing for further citation distribution. And when / if you do, use your Google business page exact address match as the base citation. Actually Moz Local would let you chose either your Google business page or your Facebook page. But again, make sure they are both exact matches before submitting. But with Facebook you must also have at least two checkins in or for it to register in Moz. Since your aren't a "service area" based business (meaning, you aren't hiding your street address in maps), I recommend just going with your Google business page.

Ultimately, one of the biggest leverages Moz Local gives you is distribution through core channels such as Localeze, Axciom, InfoGroup, and Foursquare... which will not only greatly expand and clean up your wide spread citations, but will also sync you up with Apple Maps - another highly authoritative citation source. Plus, a lot of your patients probably just pull out their iPhone and say something like "hey siri physiotherapy in carine", etc... and when this happens, Apple Maps is your key to instant connection with new patients.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions on any of the above!

Best of luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your input - you guys are very thorough and giving me some areas that I can try to improve my search.

I'll try to address your suggestions in order.

I am a physiotherapy clinic. How do I change my primary category? Are you talking in google+ or something like that???

I tried to embed the map that you and Priya sent me, although it came up with an error - I (Ironically!) googled the error, and it suggested that I embed a map that is linked to the location (11 silver place), rather than the business. That worked in terms of getting a google map on the website, but is that no good for the SEO?

I have put the code into the footer of the website (in the (footer.php) file) (thanks).

With regard to the addresses etc. My Facebook shows no postcode on the page, although I have entered it into the "page info" section. Likewise with Google+ - I'm not sure why its displaying differently...

Thanks again for your help.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Cam J and @Robert H 

Firstly thank you Robert for providing the schema and the embed code (again) for the map. These are both helpful pieces of code, and you should definitely not be getting an error when embedding it Cam. Certainly linking to the address rather than the business defeats the primary purpose which is to build Google's trust in your business. When embedding it, you do need to use the HTML editor in your CMS rather than the visual / what you see is what you get editor - that may be what is causing the error.

Secondly, as i am from Australia I am able to address some of the other things that Robert has brought up.

The current address in the footer of your website is inconsistent with the address in your Google My Business page. This is a HUGE problem as consistent of location data is critically important. For example, the phone # currently on your website is (08) 9246 1421, and the phone # on your G+ page is +61 8 9246 1421. Now, I'm not from Australia so perhaps that is the same thing - but I'm looking at it empirically, so... the point is, exact consistency is key.

When looking at a GMB listing from another country, Google automatically adds the Country area code to the phone number - for example I always see a +1 when looking at an American based company's GMB page. This does not count as inconsistent as it has been added by Google for the convenience of the searcher. There's therefore no need to change the phone number listed in the website footer. 

Similarly the rest of the address on the website is consistent so no need to change that either.

Likewise on your Facebook page, your local business address is inconsistent with your website. The street address on your Facebook page is "11 Silver Place
Carine, WA" and the one on your G+ page is "11 Silver Place, Carine WA 6020". Again, not from Australia though and I'm looking at this at face value. Since Facebook is a highly authoritative citation source that's also crawled and indexed by Google, this is a critical platform for consistency.

I beg to differ here Robert - I do not count Facebook as a highly authoritative citation source, although even if it was, the lack of a postcode is not going to make a massive difference. Google will take the details from the website over Facebook any day.

Finally, I recommend using Moz Local ($84 per year) to submit your business listing for further citation distribution.

Unfortunately Moz Local is not available in Australia so this advice is not applicable in this situation. If you wish to use a paid citation provider I recommend BrightLocal who do have an Australian service, otherwise the list of directories I provided can all be updated by you free of charge.

If you wish to add your business to Apple Maps that can be done by using Apple Connect. https://mapsconnect.apple.com/

Again, thanks for the additional info Robert and Cam I hope we haven't confused you too much!

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Priya,

Thanks for that. I've been able to make changes with the map, the local area listings (I've registered on nine different sites, and the apple Map.

I haven't been able to do the schema.org thing just yet.

Do you have any idea of how long it takes for google to "notice" changes?

Thank you very much for your help.