My Business
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

my business listing does not show up in the city its located.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First off, here is my info:

Bellingham I S

404 Oak St, Suite 266, Syracuse, NY 13203

315-527-4976

https://plus.google.com/b/114230825094945199833/+Syracuseinvestigator/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en

So here's my problem.  I made a website using godaddy and have made a billion mistakes.  I am not technically savvy but I am doing my best here. When I first made the website, godaddy suggested adding tons of key words for better google ranking. So I started hiding them in my website thinking that was a good thing.  Thankfully, I quickly learned that google doesn't like this and I fixed the problem.  I seriously had no idea about any of this SEO stuff and ranking.  I've been learning and making changes to my website as I go.  I had read (well maybe miss-read) that it was ok to have a PO Box for a service area business.  I then learned that this was bad because google thinks you are a spammer.  I am a legitimate business (not a spammer) and had only planned on using the PO box temporarily.  As soon as I learned that it was not wise, I switched my address to my new office (a physical location).  I am now using a brick and mortar business listing.  I have never been given a formal citation, warning, or notice of penalty by google, but now my business is not being listed in the city its located in.  So, if I type the key words "Syracuse, NY private Investigator" the business doesn't show up.  It used to show up like 6 places down on the my business.  If I type the key words in using a nearby city, it will sometimes show up.  So now I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.  Or, am I being punished for something I had done.  I was never notified by google that I was doing things against their guidelines.  There is more to my story but I think this is the pertinent information.  Can anyone help?  Thanks, I am desperate. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: my business listing does not show up in the city its located.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You wrote a long story but didn't make clear enough (at least not for me) what is exactly the problem as "not show up in the city it's"
I get your business searchable in Syracuse!

Are you by any chance asking about a place label for your business?

If so please read https://support.google.com/business/answer/6056435?hl=en
if not
please elaborate the issue you ask getting help on bit more

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the quick reply! What I am asking about is why my business no longer shows up in the "places" listings of investigators in Syracuse ny when you type the key words "private investigator Syracuse, ny". If some one is looking for a private investigator in Syracuse, that is likely what they'd enter. I had been on the list, but now my business has disappeared. I don't expect to be ranked on top of the search, but I think I should at least be on the list. Why did I get removed? Am I being penalized for something? Would I be notified if I was being penalized? It looks like all the other PI companies are still listed on the results but me.
Thanks again for the help.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey @Jared L

as a tough Private Investigator I give you a nice riddle to solve ;-)

Searching for "Private Investigator in syracuse NY" with Google.com I don't get you at all

In fact I get just nine results alltogether - yours is missing.

Searching instead for  "Private Investigator in syracuse NY, USA" with Google.com I get you listed pretty good at 5#:

Screenshot 2016-07-01 at 17.53.07.png

not only that I get you then

I get not only nine results for this query but 17 altogether - strange isn't it?

Wondering myself why adding " , USA " to the search string will double the number of results.

This is the riddle for you to solve ;-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, ok I enjoy a good challenge. I have some theories and some hypothesis to test. But just to be clear, do you know for sure that this riddle has a solvable answer? Or are you just as perplexed about this as I am?
Thanks again for the help!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I'm an old and very experienced member of this forum.
I therefore can't confirm "I'm perplexed" - have seen similar things to
often happen.

Just today an other very similar one: "Google My Business listing no longer
appears in search by city
<>
"

But I also can tell you: I have your issue already escalated to Google -
using the topic "*a nice riddle to solve*"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you sir!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jared L
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Jared L

Their search team is looking into the issue, but they don't have an ETA  for us.