AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

explain pingback

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,

I have a competitor that is able to be found in every local city search. For instance... I search for a air duct cleaner in Tigard, Lake Oswego, Sherwood, Beaverton ect..... and there is a link to the website under almost any local city. Their title tag on the page source will match that.  It's as though they have several home pages that all look the same except that  the city name changes according to what your search is. 

The company has two offices. One in Portland and one in Vancouver WA.

How is this accomplished? Can I do the same? 

Thank you  for any help you can provide.

Trina Plumb

trinaplumb@yahoo.com

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: explain pingback

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Trina :-)
welcome to the Google Analytics Advertiser Community :-)

I'm going to move your post over to the Google My Business Community, which seems more suited to your question

Thanks
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Trina P It sounds like a few things could be going on. It doesn't sound like you are referring to a GMB page, but instead an organic search result. Can you provide a couple examples? A screenshot would help.

Thank you

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Trina,

Are you able to provide a screenshot of what you are seeing in these searches please?

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Colin,

Not sure what you mean by screen shot , but put this in your browser to see what I'm taking about.
Look at the Betterair NW , both in Tigard & Beaverton. Let me know how they do this if you can.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=air%20duct%20cleaning%2...

Thanks,
Trina Plumb

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=air%20duct%20cleaning%2...

So this link will take you to a page. Yes this is in the organics. I'm an air duct cleaner as well.. I just want to know how this company can have a page for all local cities.

Need some help.

Thanks,
Trina Plumb

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
If you enter site:www.betterairnorthwest.com in Google Search you will notice they have created sub-pages for quite a few area cities. This is how they show up on those searches - one page per city. Google frowns on blatantly doing this (they are considered "doorway pages" https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2721311?hl=en) but that doesn't mean the technique never works. They have varied the text on each page enough to fly under Google's radar **for now**. This is not a technique you want to emulate because you would not want someone to report you for webspam :-) https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/spamreportform?hl=en&authuser=1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Phillip for your expert opinion. I thought this was most likely frowned apon. They have been doing this several years. I keep a close eye on this as I am their competitor. I will abide by Googles policies. and keep moving forward. Again, Thank you :)

Trina Plumb