Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

established google business suddenly not showing up in search

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had a verified google business for 7 or so years, that has always shown up in top 3 listings for google business (previously local) search.  I am a plastic surgeon and my business is Adam Lowenstein, MD- Montecito Plastic Surgery.  I have many 5 star reviews, lots of info and photos, and a verified account.  Quite suddenly, much has changed.  

While my Google Business shows prominently in the search for "santa barbara plastic surgeon”, I am no longer showing up at all for the searches of:

santa barbara plastic surgery

plastic surgeon santa barbara

plastic surgery santa barbara

I'm not only no longer in the top three, I'm not listed at all here where I used to be listed in all of these searches, and my local competitors, such as Pacific Plastic Surgery, is listed consistently in all of these searches.  Any input would help, thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I'm sure it is difficult when it seems you've done nothing to change your online presence and suddenly your listing drops in ranking. 

Some key questions: 

Why do you deserve to be listed there?

Why shouldn't your competitor be appearing? 

What is your competitor doing that you aren't doing? (this will require some serious work, in some cases, to find out)

Once you can reasonably answer those questions, you might find yourself thinking about investing in online marketing - perhaps you'll find new opportunities you can focus on for your practice. 

Also, having more than one website for a single business doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Additionally, not having your full address appearing on your homepage probably doesn't help. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have been the most established web-enabled practice for the longest time, our web site is larger and more informative.  My competitor should be appearing, but so should we and every other plastic surgeon in town.  Everyone is there but my practice.  I do have my full address on my practice, as well as a google map and a virtual tour through my office.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You're appearing #8. Obviously, not everyone can occupy the top 3 spots, unfortunately. And there are more than three plastic surgeons in Santa Barbara. 

I see your full address now. I clicked Contact Us and only saw the street address. Then, selecting the contact link led me to a page off your website with an image for your practice name and address and a contact form. 

Like I said before, the competitive analysis isn't trivial work. You'll want to try to understand what your competitors are doing that your aren't and vice versa. Ultimately, getting into those details might help. Though, of course, Google is the ultimate arbitrator, and they'll make decisions that can make or break you regardless of what you do.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

What is the situation with "Santa Barbara CoolSculpting"

1722 State St #101
Santa Barbara

A couple problems with that listing:
1) It's competing with your main listing - so you are in essence competing with yourself.

2) Only one listing per location is allowed, so this one should not be live. Google may have created it but having 2 names for the same business can confuse Google.

3) Was this a previous name? Looks current, because that listing links to a live site http://sbcoolsculpting.com/. Some of the links on that site redirect to your main site at: http://www.sbplasticsurgeon.com/body/coolsculpting/ So everything is cross linked and connected it seems.

Having 2 listings and 2 different sites with 2 different practice names is not best practice and is likely confusing Google.

Can you add any detail to what I shared above?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Adam L

Additionally there do not appear to be any citations for the other business. Was it just a name and 2nd site for the purpose of trying to market that particular service maybe?

Also meant to mention there is a fairly recent algo update that experts believe "filters out" listings if there is more than one at the same or nearby location, so that's another reason that 2nd listing could be hurting you.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Good catch @Linda Buquet - while it doesn't appear you're attempting to have 'separate' locations with different suite numbers, I see it often enough, I think I'll mention it anyway.

Google doesn't see {street_address} + {suite_#} differently than something with the same {street_address}. Essentially, it is important where the address geocodes. If it is geocoded to the same lat/long location, Google thinks it is the same location.

Just take a look at the address search, and you'll see multiple listings with different suites all clustering under the same address. 

https://goo.gl/maps/GdfpymUN3TL2