2.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

drop in position?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm a driving instructor who has a 10km service area around my business. After making a very few minor edits on Google my business ( added serve people at my location) as students come to the office for hazard perception training. I then realised I don't have a shopfront as per google guidelines, so I backed the change off and returned to just the 10km service area.
I feel I have been hit with a penalty, as my info box is now outside of the top 3?? Before I was position 1 or 2. It has been a week now and the position is unchanged. We are encouraged to make edits and keep up to date, however, it seems too much editing can make your positions drop??

My competition has put his location and keywords in the "Business name" area alongside the legitimate name and is ranking top?

Just search "driving lessons Bolton" and you will see this.

My confusion is when working to google quality guidelines it seems you can be penalised for edits? yet your competition bends the rules, adding location and keywords to business name along with dummy "trip advisor style" reviews - and comes out top?

Will my position recover if i refrain from making more edits? Or should I attempt more edits to fix?
What is the likely timescale to recover from a drop like this?

Any guidance appreciated
Harwood Driving School

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/115302387792064184947/+ExceptionalDrivingSchoolRadcliffe

47 Links road, Bolton, BL2 4EY

07594 310716

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan I
October 2016

drop in position?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Dan I

if the is a reason to get penalties it's justified for your naming as "Harwood Driving School/Bolton Driving Lessons"

On yur photos of oyur G+ page the driving school is clear indicated as "Harwood Driving School" only