AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Wrong business showing for my business name in Local/Map search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have been trying to get help through Google support to no avail, so I hope that someone on this forum can help.

First, my business info:

Ganga Guest House
Swargashram, Rishikesh
Uttarakhand, India

+91 955 799 4975
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Avataryogaschool

My issue is that a different local business is showing on the right-hand local search results for my business name, Avatar Yoga School. All the natural search results are pages directly related to my business (our website & social media sites, etc). 

The business that is showing does not have a similar name, nor do they use our name anywhere in their Google profile. However, they are located in our former location. In fact, my former landlord is the one who created the Google profile that is showing. It used to have my business name on it, but when I moved locations, he switched that profile to the new tenant's name. They have the same type of business. He is even still showing my pictures for the competing business!

I have created my own Google business listing since, and it's been verified. I have filled in the profile, posted content and have a review. I have been in contact with Google about it, but they haven't responded to me since the first email exchange. That was over a month ago. I really hate to think that my competitor is stealing business that is directly searching for me! I really hope someone on here can help me. Thanks a lot for reading since this was long!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Wrong business showing for my business name in Local/Map search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@brajesh s

Like to let you know I get yours and the other yoga business if googling for "Avatar Yoga School near Uttarakhand "

Screenshot 2016-01-30 at 17.31.28.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler

Thank you for your response. I see what you are saying, but practically, no one would search for that. For an "avatar yoga school" search or "avatar yoga school rishikesh" the other school in my prior location is showing. They are even showing a photo of me teaching a class! That aside, I would really like to know how I can get my school to show for my own name. I understand that for a more general search one has to compete with the others in the market, but I see no reason that they should show for my school's name. It seems like this is just inaccurate information for the user.

Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 11.43.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-31 at 11.43.18 AM.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@brajesh s

two remarks please:

at first: I'n not a "nobody" or "no one" searching like I did. 

But I know much more about about getting a listing on a pure name search as you might imagine.

secondly:

Here are two great articles linked: http://localu.org/?s=knowledge+panel

And don't miss this two links 
and 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Helmut Geissler

Thanks again for your help!

I didn't mean to suggest that you are nobody. Not at all! What I meant was, for the most part our customers, being from overseas, are not aware of the state of Uttarakhand. They would be searching for us in Rishikesh.

I appreciate you sending these articles and I will try to understand everything contained therein.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
ok lets see what happens searching you near Rishikesh:

Trying in www.google.co.in for just "Yoga Retreat Center near Rishikesh India"

I get you on page 1 of all search results.

But I admit searching you just for "Yoga Retreat Center near Rishikesh" (without "India" in the search query) I don't get you - what is in fact a bit strange.

On the other hand I figured out an "addressing issue" for your business page.

You apparently specified as your address the below string:
"Guesthouse, Swargashram, Ganga Vatika Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249304, India"

Now try searching for just this string in GMaps (maps.google.co.in)‎
YOu will be surprised that this isn't considered as a unique address.

GMaps will list us then several businesses matching this search query.
For me this is an indication that your "Address" isn't considered as an ordinary address for a business.

But please consider it as "my just two cents" only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Helmit Geissler

That is very interesting that you see us on page 1 for "Yoga Retreat Center near Rishikesh India"! I don't get the same results, but I'm glad you see us on Page 1.

re: the address. This is actually the other Google issue I am having. That is not our address, and every time I try to correct it to the right address, it returns a screen that says my changes are "pending" and then sometime later reverts to the old, wrong address.

This "Guesthouse, Swargashram, Ganga Vatika Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249304, India" is not even the address that I verified! They sent the verification letter to the correct address, which is
Ganga Guest house, Swargashram, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249304, India. I have no idea how we got associated with this other address.

Someone from Google support actually contacted me by phone yesterday. I went over both issues with him. He sent me instructions on how to update the address. I followed the process he sent me, which I had already done many times. At least 20 times, I have done this routine. And the address will not update. I see a message that says the changes are pending, and then the change is never made to the listing. I've also tried updating through Maps rather than My Business profile. I got an email on Jan 8th that said my update would be made...I can't say why it hasn't been

The person I spoke to yesterday told me that the reason we are not "ranking well" for our brand name is that I have made to many changes to my listing. I explained that the only changes I've been making is trying to update the address. Now you are telling me that we aren't "ranking well" because the address is incorrect. I am caught in an infinite loop of Google frustration.

I also discovered yesterday that the page that is ranking for our school name is not even verified. The school that is showing is actively using a different listing, which is what shows when you search their brand name.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Understood. Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@brajesh s

again a necessary remark:

I did not sent you any letter at all. I'm a user in the forum trying to help other users.

(It's btw for me pretty difficult trying to help you since you are in a certain contact and communication with Google Support)

I will not comment this communication with Googles Business support at all (who am I - comment the mysterious doing of the GoogleGods)

But I will provide you with two more information:

at first the proof I got you on a category search  near your town (means I see you "on page 1 for "Yoga Retreat Center near Rishikesh India"!" )

I get first the three pack:

Screenshot 2016-02-03 at 17.10.27.png

Then after clicking the below link "More places"

I get you in the middle of the results of page one (14th position):

Screenshot 2016-02-03 at 17.13.04.png

secondly and regarding the address:

I see exactly this specified address in your entry in MapMaker

(link to MM: "Avatar Yoga School") - see left side

Screenshot 2016-02-03 at 16.55.38.png

I would like to get from you a screen grap showing exactly what and how you specified your address for your page in question in your dashboard. The page I'm referring to is "Avatar Yoga School" (its a G+ URL)

That's all for now

Regards

ehg