5.6K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Wrong Name in Google Search Listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I manage the publicity for my job. I noticed last year that Google had two competing Google Plus pages for us. One which we created immediately when G+ was released and the other appears to be automated. I spoke on the phone with someone about the need to dump to dump the wrong profile. It seems to have merged successfully except they took the wrong name from the auto-generated profile. 

There is no Central Library in our name. I keep trying to report it, but the default on the edit screen is correct. I've looked at the Google My Business info. It's also correct. It's just this bit that shows up in search results is wrong. Google Maps URL which is correct. Our URL is correct

Any suggestions on how to fix it? 

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.02.12 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Amanda, 

The correct way to manage and update your listing is in the actual admin dashboard, you can see instructions here. It appears the account is already claimed by someone with an email that looks like ux…@gmail.com. If you know who that is, you can contact them and ask them to add you as a manager. If no one knows who claimed the listing, then you'll need to regain control of it by following these steps

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, James! I've checked that setting and like Google Maps, it is showing the correct name. It appears to just be the Google Search results uh...knowledge panel which is wrong. 

Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amanda G
July

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I saw another case like that recently, it was a bug in that case. I've escalated to the Google engineers, I'll let you know how it goes. We don't have a way to see when it's been looked at, so I can't really give you a timeframe... expect at least a few days though. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much! We really appreciate it. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a similar issue posted with a wrong search result for "Foxy Nails Albion Michigan."  Results go to Oklahoma City.  I did post it to this forum but no one has replied in the past week.  Might you be able to help us James?  Thank you.  Here is where I posted it. https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ownership-Conflicts/Search-results-wrong-state-similar-bus...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Amanda, 

I heard back from support. Looks like you got caught up in a larger technical issue, the engineers are working on it and you should notice your listing correct itself at some point in the near-ish future. I don't have a time frame, but it's being worked on. 

Maggie, 

Sorry no one saw your post, we've had a pretty high volume of questions lately, and this forum is Google supported, but mostly run by volunteers like me, so we get a little behind sometimes. I'll respond on your other thread. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, James!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I have a similar weird issue that does not make sense to me. The name of the library changed about two years ago or so from Mamie Doud Eisnhower Public Library to Broomfield Library. I worked hard on the indexing and sometime last year we had gotten the search results display that new name correctly. Recently it has reverted to the old name and not only that, but it is also adding "central library" which was never part of the name. So if you Google Broomfield Library you get results for Mamie Doud Eisenhower Public Library Central Library on the knowledge card and in the top results. The name is correct in Google MyBusiness and in Google Maps, just not in search results. Is there something that I can do? 

Experts in the Topic
james w