AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Wrong Category

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We are a painting and decorating company in Belfast (Bennett Brothers Group) but it wont let me choose 'Painting and Decorating' as the primary category, it's only letting me choose 'Painter' which isn't technically correct. 

All other painting and decorating businesses are listed as Painter and Decorator.. 

Can you help please?

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 16.00.58.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-28 at 16.06.48.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Wrong Category

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

First of all I see and can replicate the issue not getting anymore the category "Painter and Decorators" offered if selecting a category for any business of the UK.

More strange:

if I apply a search for  "decorators" near Belfast UK I get almost the same businesses listed as you in your second screenshot but to my big surprise I don't get any results listed with "Painter and Decorators" - getting all instead listed as "Painters" only.

Even the "MAK DECORATORS BELFAST" or the "Eglantine Decorators":

Screenshot 2017-11-28 at 21.39.58.png

Can you do me the favor providing your search URL where you still get any results listed with "Painter and Decorators" 

About the disappeared category "Painter and Decorators" in googles list there are some other strange findings as I recently made.

I will  escalate this findings to Google soon.

Wrong Category

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

High level: select Painter and other categories that match. You'll adding the category that you see with your competitors.

Some background:

Looks like the category was always Painter. That is, older, localized category lists have the name as Painter and Decorator. But, it is, in fact, the Painter category. I think by the time @Helmut Geissler did his search, the UI has updated to the naming convention to Painters.

For US-en and GB-en (United States, English and Great Britain, English):

{
"name": "Painter",
"categoryId": "gcid:painter"
}

For CA-en (Canada, English)

{
"name": "Painter and Decorator",
"categoryId": "gcid:painter"
},

So, it looks like at some point that the UK had the category name as Painter and Decorator, but it was always mapped to the code for Painter. I'm looking at search results and can't replicated what @Adam B saw, but am also seeing similar to Helmut, the Painter only results.

In end, by selecting Painter, you're selecting the same category that your competitors were using when you say the UI display Painter and Decorator. Google probably fully understands that decorators are also painters, semantically, so you likely won't be losing search for those broader terms.

There are some other categories used by your competitors, some aren't Google categories, but probably from other citation sites or represent the hierarchy of categories not exposed for selection by business owners.

Here are the ones you should include based on looking at a couple of your competitors:

Painter
General Contractor
Interior Designer

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Wrong Category

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I like to add to what  @Joel H thanksfully said:

obviously searching with google.co.uk and using a UK proxy or an UK IP (I did this via VPN) we get for any search on "painters Belfast UK" all results listed as "paintors and decorators"

While using and searching with google.com and using a UK proxy or an UK IP (I did this via VPN) we get for any search on "painters Belfast UK" all results listed as "paintors" only.

And the pleper tool tells  me the category "paintors and decorators" is still available for the UK.

Wrong Category

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

The Pleper Tool is out of date. US, Ireland, Great Britain, and some others are Painter. While Canada and India (EN) are Painter and Decorator. I assume the frontend of Maps will eventually match the category names now appearing for GMB. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter