AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Would a custom home builder be considered a Service-Area Business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work with a custom home builder and when asked the question if the business is a service-area business, we could not decide on if we would be considered in this category. In the examples, Google lists a pizzeria because they deliver their product to the customer at their location, that makes sense. 

However, https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

explicitly states that, "If your business serves customers at their locations, you should list it as a service area business on Google." A custom home builder does exactly that, they serve their customers/clients at their location, wherever it may be and they build a house. It is a much more lengthy process than delivering a pizza but it is the same concept of delivering a service to the customer at their location.

What would be your recommendation?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BDX S
April

Re: Would a custom home builder be considered a Service-Area Business?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @BDX S,

Does the home builder has an office that potential or existing customers can visit unannounced and been helped?

If the answer is yes, then they can display the street address for the business.

If the answer is no, meaning, they always meet with customers at a location of their choosing and never at the place of business, they need to set a service area and hide the street address.

It has nothing to do with the fact they they build houses at their customer's properties.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BDX S
April

Re: Would a custom home builder be considered a Service-Area Business?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @BDX S,

Does the home builder has an office that potential or existing customers can visit unannounced and been helped?

If the answer is yes, then they can display the street address for the business.

If the answer is no, meaning, they always meet with customers at a location of their choosing and never at the place of business, they need to set a service area and hide the street address.

It has nothing to do with the fact they they build houses at their customer's properties.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor