AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Why has my business disappeared from Google Search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is one other sign Painter in Providence and I would come up below them in a search, now my Fb pages, website and Instagram are completely gone. I've been in business since 2006. My legal business name is Salvi's Hand Painted Signs, my online presence is Rhode Island Sign Painting, neither shows up.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Why has my business disappeared from Google Search?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @jayson Providence Sign Painter S
Have moved this to a new thread so the previous poster doesn't have to read the activity that relates to your specific case and has no bearing on his.

First thing I noticed was the squarespace account linked to your Yelp profile seems to be gone.  Might want to update that to your new website.  It's a credibility and trust thing for both people and search engines.

Next thing I did was search for businesses at your address.  Google shows me two.  Providence Hand Painted Signs (an unclaimed listing) and Salvi's Providence HPS.  Have you logged into your dashboard to see if the SPHPS listing has been suspended?

It is *not* a good idea to try to have two identities for a business - if you've been trading as SHPS, then keep going with that name, and take the Providence out of the GMB listing name.  If RISP or PHPS has been created for SEO purposes, that is confusing not only for people but search engines (and also happens to be against the guidelines for GMB listings:  https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177)

There is one other factor why a listing gets suspended - this looks to be a service area business (one that provides services at customer's locations, not your own premises).  If you do not serve customers at your address, Google requires you hide your address (https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163).

Action points:

1) merge the PHPS listing with the SPHPS listing (via maps, mark the listing as "closed/not here" then select "duplicate" from the next menu).
2) change the SPHPS name back to the real-world name (as per the guidelines)
3) fix up the Yelp listing (and any others you have) that point to the wrong website.

Once you've completed all those, if you're still having trouble with the listing showing, post back.

One other note, if the listing has been suspended, you may need to appeal to get it reinstated.  Before you request the listing be reinstated, do all the things mentioned.  Then you can ask Google to reinstate the page here: https://support.google.com/business/troubleshooter/2690129?p=reinstatement_request&rd=1

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog