AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Why does removing brand page refer to "deleting google account"?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

The warnings on bottom of the "delete" feature for Brand pages says 

"[  ] Yes, I want to permanently delete my Google account and all its data"  

YIKES! :mansurprised:

....backs away slowly....

I ... only... wanted... to remove this unused brand page.... not my google account.

So which is it?  Does it remove the brand page and leave the rest alone?  Or am I committing a Google death wish by clicking?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Why does removing brand page refer to "deleting google accoun

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Scott,
There is a Google account associated with the page that is not normally seen, that is the page that statement is referring to.
It is possible to create a password for that account so you could post and upload photos as the page, also review other businesses as the page, instead of the personal Google+ profile that owns the page.
A Gmail account that can only receive e-mail is also associated with the page account once a password is created.

But as James said, the language used in that removal message is confusing because most people are not aware of that ghost account.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Yeah, that language is a little confusing, and definitely not something you want to get wrong. They're right to warn a person too, since a brand page isn't just a page exactly, there's a lot of different connected pieces of info that go along with it, so I suppose 'account' really is the right word to use. 

Just to double check, I happened to have an account with an unused Google+ brand page on it too from a ways back, so I went ahead and cleaned house. I saw a page with this message: 

Please read this carefully. It's not the usual yada yada.

Are you sure you want to delete ---? You may not be able to recover all of this account's data if you change your mind. You can transfer ownership of ---instead of deleting it.

If you delete this page:
  • All of its content will be deleted, including posts, videos and photos.
  • Managers won't be able to access the page.
  • Associated AdWords Express ads will become inactive.

There was that 'yes, I want to permanently delete my Google account and all it's data' at the bottom. 

I hit yes, and everything worked out fine. The other page on the account was left intact, and everything to do with the account that wasn't directly associated with the page I was deleting were left alone. If you want more detailed info someone else will have to chime in, but hopefully that answers your question. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah.. this could be so bad you get sued (as a consultant.) As far as I know, Google doesn't do much to help people who've had an account lost as a result of their own actions. There is no reason for this to be so stressful. Kudos given.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Scott,
There is a Google account associated with the page that is not normally seen, that is the page that statement is referring to.
It is possible to create a password for that account so you could post and upload photos as the page, also review other businesses as the page, instead of the personal Google+ profile that owns the page.
A Gmail account that can only receive e-mail is also associated with the page account once a password is created.

But as James said, the language used in that removal message is confusing because most people are not aware of that ghost account.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no any answer in Black and white. 

Is it delete my whole Google Account or not?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

No. It will not. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.