AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Why are genuine reviews deleted?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - wondering if any experts could shed light on why genuine reviews of my business from genuine clients are being deleted - when one of my competitors has reviewed herself, had her best friend review her, her sister and her husband and they are all considered to be legitimate?  Its infuriating!  I don't offer people incentives to post reviews, I just tell them how they can leave one for me should they wish to.  Feeling slightly exasperated!  Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why are genuine reviews deleted?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry - addendum - a couple of weeks back I had ten genuine reviews, now according to Google I have 7 - although 9 are showing when you go to view the reviews!

Re: Why are genuine reviews deleted?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Lorraine,

Can you post a link to your page so I can take a look? 

It is likely that your review got filtered or removed for violating Google's review policies. Based on cases I've looked at, here is what I've come up with for reasons why reviews go missing:

• URLs in reviews
  • The same review appears elsewhere online (Yelp, a testimonials page on your website etc)
  • The person who wrote the review is a manager of your G+ Page
  • The person who wrote the review works for you
  • The person wrote the review from the same computer/IP Address that you sign into to manage your local listing
  • The person wrote the review from the same IP address as other users who left you reviews
  • The person tried to post a review for you several times on different dates (Ex: they wrote one August 5 and it got filtered so they tried again on October 10)
  • You've been collecting reviews in mass within a short time frame
  • The person reviewing you has also reviewed multiple other businesses with the same name (if you have several locations and they reviewed all of them)
  • The person reviewing you has a completely blank G+ profile and has never had any activity on that Google profile before or after they left you that review.
  • You hired an SEO company to post reviews for you
  • You have an onsite review station (Ipad, Computer etc) at your location
  • You are offering incentives for people who write you reviews.
  • Your # of reviews is abnormally higher than most businesses in your industry.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had two genuine reviews go missing I have 7 and it should be 9. They were no different then the ones listed. Can you help me get them back or let me know what I need to do? Our company is 123Bizplan, LLC

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@james c

have you really read the above posting of Joy?

She listed tons of reasons for filtering reviews

She also wrote a helpful article:

https://whitespark.ca/blog/google-remove-reviews/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. I was just trying to find out if there was a way to get these back. They came from my customers, who from what I could tell are not violating any of the potential filters. It is interesting that they can see the review from their computer when they look it up. Thanks again. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

this is quite normal @james c

filtered reviews are always shown up in reviewers account.

(as it belongs to their account)

But due to the filtering mechanism such filltered reviews will prevented from showing to the public.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a previous client contact me asking if he did something wrong by leaving a review on Google because it was deleted. This review was a great review and the ONLY thing it could have been cause for it to be deleted is the blank G+ profile. I understand the reasoning for that being a liable reason to be deleted BUT it should be across the board. Our business is working with substance abuse in a above middle class area. People do not want their real name on a review that possibly flags them as an abuser of any substance. That being said, there was another review that was posted, this client posted SEVERAL of the same review on multiple sites. Nothing he stated was fact; he was just disgruntled. He used a fake name and profile for obvious reasons. His review was flagged as he stated several things listed in the above list. However, his review still is out there. He has since taken names but he did that NOT Google. So how can Great reviews by actual clients get deleted but the bad ones that violated more than one of the listed items did not? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My reviews I post about DriveTime for selling lemon cars keeps getting deleted. Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI JoyHawkins,

I am Technical trainer, have a training and development centre, I don't use any marketing medium to grow my business but Google only. My business profiles where I get genuine reviews which motivates me and guide to candidates. I am very much disappointed, Google removed many of reviews from my business profile. tell me the to get them back on my business profile.

Thanks

K. Fatima