Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

What happened to the maps?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When I used to do local searches fro trades.....ie "Handyman, Franklin Tasmania".......there used to be an accompanying map (there sometimes is), but now they seem to have dissappeared?

Can anyone tell me why the map locations of the businesses are not there on a side map like before?

Here is my search in question: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=handyman+franklin+tasmania&oq=handyman+franklin+tas&gs_l=serp.1.0...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google uses signals from users AND across the web to ascertain whether any given search should offer up a local results map.

In smaller towns there sometimes is not enough user interest in the form of clicks nor are there enough web signals for Google to "think" that the search is a local one. 

In some research I did, the phrase "dive bar olean ny" did not return a pack result even though it did in other cities. After some activity on a review site the map pack result started showing. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks.....thats what I thought but it used to be so but isnt anymore....maybe the search terms for that area have diminished?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Or possibly Google recalibrated their system to a higher level of activity needed on 3rd party review sites.... 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Na...something is not right........even in heavily populated areas there is no accompanying maps on the side with lists of businesses in alphabetical order like there used to be.......just web hosts who rank your business.....

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Google is constantly changing things. It's not that it "isn't right".  Google is what Google does. And they think "they know" what users want. 

All ok you can do is follow best practices in local search; improve your website, earn reviews, earn link equity, have solid social marketing, run a business that people "talk" about. 

If you do do those things:

1- google will send you your fair share of traffic and business

2- and they are more likely to show the local search results from pack and map

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I know those things to be true but the old way was better.......Google ranked you and not the hosts of your business.........now it is who is a member of the top host game........and that usually means $$$$$

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

That just isn't the case IF you do the things that Google needs to see you and your site as prominent:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well we will have to agree to disagree because you can be doing all those things and your business will still not come up on the side with a map......

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Or perhaps we don't agree on what Google needs to see.