My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

What are the search ramifications of not putting in business hours if you are not open to the public

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know that business owners have been clamoring for an "by appointment only" or "not open to the public" option for a while.  And, from the looks of posts in other sections of this community, it appears that this may not be implemented for some time. 

In the meantime, I was wondering how not having any business hours entered will affect how my business comes up in searches and the like.   

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What are the search ramifications of not putting in business hours if you are not open to the pu

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It just means you won't have hours show up in the search results. It
shouldn't hurt ranking.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Re: What are the search ramifications of not putting in business hours if you are not open to the pu

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Phil,

Take a look at this post which goes into problems a local search pro had when omitting hours.

It includes his post, what GMB support said and lots of good discussion.

Unwritten Rule - Be Sure To Set Hours Right in Google My Business Dashboard

This picture I made for the post, kinda says it all!  LOLThis picture I made for the post, kinda says it all! LOLNow that was 2014 and we know how much things change with Google, but thought it was worth mentioning, so you can consider some of those issues.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Lol that photo is awesome Linda

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Linda. I guess it should be "Google my RETAIL Business". It appears that GMB is not the appropriate tool to use for a B2B model.

For food service wholesalers, not being open to the public is an integral part of their food safety HACCP plan. Also, if you are a wholesaler in a location that is not zoned for retail, publicly posting hours open to the public can get you into serious hot water with your local zoning board whether you are actually selling a retail product out of that location or not.

It would be nice if goole would be able to institute a B2B model that operates similarly to it's GMB model but maybe some enterprising individual might be able to fulfill that need at some point.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Google's current solution for these types of businesses are brand pages: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4570248?hl=en

Owner of Sterling Sky