AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Watermarking photos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am currently working for a major university claiming our locations and updating all GMB information. I can't find any information about if watermarking is allowed. I am looking to place my schools name in the corner along with the photographers name, just to help give credit to the photographer and our school.

Edit: Watermarking is the wrong wording. I am looking to give credit/copyright in the corner of our photos with our university and photographers name.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Watermarking photos

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

This is the first time I've seen this type of question, while the guidelines don't mention 'watermark' I can only presume when they say, "no significant alterations" not to include a large-ish watermark. I would suggest keeping it small in the corner, as you said, and seeing if Google dings it.

Photo guidelines

Your photos will look best on Google if they meet the following standards:

• Format: JPG or PNG.
  • Size: Between 10 KB and 5 MB.
  • Minimum resolution: 720 x 720 pixels.
  • Quality: The photo should be in focus and well lit, and have no significant alterations or excessive use of filters. In other words, the image should represent reality.

Re: Watermarking photos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry watermarking is the wrong wording. I am looking to give credit/copyright in the corner of photographs on our GMB locations. I was able to find this link related to user Map photos. I don't like adding a title/description in our metadata for GMB photos, as it will display it and either get cut off or not display the location name.So, I am looking to just upload our GMB photos and place our university's and photographers name in the corner  

Superimposed text or graphics

Superimposed text or graphics, including promotional content such as logos, are subject to the following requirements:

• For 360 photos, superimposed content must be limited to either the zenith or nadir (top or bottom 25% of the equirectangular image), but cannot be present in both.
  • For traditional digital photos and videos, superimposed content cannot take up more than 10% of the image or video, and must be limited to a single edge.
  • Superimposed text or graphics must be relevant.
  • Distracting superimposed text or graphics are not permitted.

Re: Watermarking photos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris S,

The guidelines you referenced are the current ones and can be found in the Maps User Contributed Content Policy.

https://support.google.com/contributionpolicy/answer/7422880

I am assuming you already have the answer you were looking for.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor