AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Want to be able to turn off businesses on my maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When trying to find directions on the hilly streets where I live, the screen is covered by these type of Labels: X Accupuncturist, X kennels, X catering....

I don't know how this works, but do these businesses pay a fee to be advertised on your maps? Or are they just in Google's Business Database?

If so, it seems I should be able to toggle the businesses off, or choose which ones (even by icon) that I see. I would pay for that as a PRO feature even. 
Can someone tell me how it works? 

Let's say I want to figure out some distances in Chicago, but I DO NOT want to see Restaurants.
Is there a way I can toggle off all Restaurant Labels? 

What if I just want to see the labels for Hotels? Or just restaurants? 
Do we have no choice about it if we want to use Google Maps? 

And if I live next door to a business called "Stupid Name Boutique", and I want to send someone a screenshot of a map of my house, I can't toggle my neighbor's business off?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Want to be able to turn off businesses on my maps

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

this is a question better to ask the experts of the GMaps forum (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/maps)

But since I'm a TC of this forum too I can tell you this:

You can't toggle or somehow get rid of Place Labels shown on Maps if using the standard GMaps on desktop or Mobile.