2K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Using #-tags to increase visibility

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was on a call today with a Google Support rep and she mentioned that - by searching for a hashtag in front of my keyword then adding my business name with the address, I could increase my rankings for a keyword. She said that I need to do this a couple of times a week for the algorithm to learn the keyword association with my business.

Example: # Calgary Real Estate Agent Great Calgary Real Estate 703 64 Ave SE #130, Calgary, AB T2H 2C3

Can anyone confirm if this is actually going to work?

Thank  you, 

Joe

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Wow. Its hard to believe that a support rep from Google would say such a thing.... I have no idea whether it would work or not (although it seems incredibly unlikely). Google reps are never supposed to give ranking advice. When they do its usually hearsay of the first order. 

My sense is that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't true.

If you have the time to test it, let us know the outcome. 

We have seen hashtags have some impact on a listings relevance when used in conjunction with a well managed Google Plus account that has lots of followers and gets its posts shared etc. but this piece of folk wisdom is new to me. 

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I am with @Mike Blumenthal on this. Here is why this would not make sense. 

The searches would be repeated by you, an individual. Google relies on big data, volumes of correlating information. Volume, Veracity (verified entities), velocity (a lot of the same or correlating queries), and variety. The latter is a big part of what is missing, variety in query and variety in the source of information. 

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It would be nice to have an actual Google rep weigh in on this. Not just if this works (extremely doubtful) but mostly if we should take ranking advice from Google support people.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Every bit of ranking advice that I have ever received from a Google support rep has been ill informed and worse than useless. That is one of the reasons that Google reps are not supposed to give ranking advice. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yet, they continue to do so - and why would a business owner looking for help not believe them?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was told the same thing by a Google rep the other day but judging by what else he said I have chosen to ignore his advice!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just had a rep also tell me to use start using hashtags to help with my overall account! I was having really good response and and suddenly went away a few weeks ago.

James