Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Full business name: Ball Plumbing
2. Current business address: Bellingham Washington, USA
3. Current telephone number: 360-647-2255 
4. Google+ URL: www.ballplumbing.net

Hello again!

I've noticed that when searches are done using the Location (from internet address, etc), I drop down to last position.  When I use Unknown Location (Tor browser or cell phone, etc), I'm in the top three.

What have I screwed up now?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unknown Location versus Known Location Search Results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I'm guessing you haven't somewhat screwed up
SAB wit hidden addresses (as yours is one) are mostly bit strange or more
bad ranked as expected (that is my experience at least)
What is the search query if getting it bad ranked and what if you get your
business top ranked?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, Helmut.

Known Location: All the search terms will return bad rank.

Unknown Location: All the terms will be great.

Side note: I have an old address in Blaine, WA. that shows when "plumbers, Blaine, Wa" is searched. Could that be a problem now as opposed to last week?

Since I have a home office and it's now known all across the internet anyway, should I un-hide the address?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Robert Y, you should always have your business address hidden on Google if you don't actually allow customers to drop in during business hours. Your account can get pulled from the SERPs entirely if you accidentally mess that one up and get caught. Doesn't mean your address needs to be hidden everywhere though... it'll make citation building and management a lot easier if you don't care about 100% address privacy. You DO want to clean up that old Blaine address though, and not just on Google... just posted this in another thread anyway, so if you haven't see it yet, here's a map of what experts think Google Google pulls info from when deciding how trustworthy their business info is:
https://moz.com/learn/local/local-search-data-us

Here's all the mentions I see of you and the old address. Some of those are going to be a pain in the butt to change, so just take a few minutes for each and see if it's possible. 

Here's your old profile by the way:
https://plus.google.com/114331315492951912454/about

Just call up Google, and ask them to merge that with your verified listing. Here's how to contact them:
https://support.google.com/business/contactflow?hl=en

I'm afraid I'm not in Bellingham, and you looked fine to me when I checked with my search settings set to Bellingham, but... yeah, things aren't so simple now. There's even some pretty major differences in how Google decides what to show when you include the city name, or when you don't. Speaking of which, what search term exactly are you using when you're getting results you're not happy with? 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

Yours is a timely reply, for sure. I researched a little and discovered that not only is my home address listed (as it is with my hidden Google My Places Business Maps), but a wrong phone number was listed in yp and whitepages, etc.

I'm trying to get them changed/removed entirely, but hitting major resistance. Seems they want money to correct the incorrect ads, which is extortion. Seriously extortion.

On your page, https://moz.com/learn/local/local-search-data-us , under the Whom powers Who section, are you saying Localeze powers the list or visa versa? I need to correct the mistakes at the source.

I might get an office after this...too many references to my home on the internet.

My test search terms are what my existing customers used to find me: Bellingham plumbers, plumbers Bellingham, plumbers, honest plumbers, plumber, etc.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Robert Y is 710 Peace Portal Drive your old home address? If so, I'll get the listing removed for you.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Localeze is one of the main data providers, yes. If you get yourself showing properly on there, Factual, Infogroup and Acxiom, that'll self-correct a lot of the other secondary listings. You can't manually make changes on all four of those though, and for the ones you can it's a hassle. It's not a bad idea to consider the $84 to Moz local, since they'll get those 4 (and a few other things) showing properly for you, though be warned that even with Moz Local some of those (Factual) can take like 6 months to update. And yeah, you're going to run into a lot of directories that don't want to let you change things for free, citation cleanup is a mess to navigate, and sucks figuring it out if it's your first time. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I put that address as "out of business" for now until I straighten other things out.

A new wrinkle: I was told that my http://ballplumbing.blogspot.com/ and ball-plumbing.net (old site forwarding to ballplumbing.net) and ball.plumbing (a site I buy from Google and redirected to ballplumbing.net) is interfering with my local results.

To be clearer: ballplumbing.blogspot.com, www.ball-plumbing.net, www.ball.plumbing are messing with my results?