AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to edit address (city) for my verified business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a verified business page: Black Gold carpet Cleaning https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/101758268082301946732/+BlackgoldcarpetcleaningAu/posts.

My business is a mobile service area business and I have listed it as such on my G+ business page.  My business office address is in Carnegie 3163, which is in the greater Melbourne area and located approximately 15km from the CBD.

In recent months the local search for the term "carpet cleaning Melbourne" has changed and now only seems to return results for businesses with a physical address in the Melbourne CBD.  I am wondering why "Melbourne" is a few city blocks rather than the whole Greater Melbourne area?  Most of these businesses are of course also mobile service area businesses but they have marketing firms working for them in the CBD. Customers searching this term do not literally mean "Melbourne CBD" they mean greater Melbourne as opposed to Sydney or Brisbane!! 

To try and get my business seen as being in Melbourne, I added "Melbourne" after Carnegie on my business page, but have since decided this is probably confusing things rather than helping so I removed "Melbourne" from my listing, however it is still being displayed as Melbourne, Vic.  How do I get it to change to Carnegie, Vic, 3163.  Is there any explanation as to why the local search results are only returning results in Melbourne CBD instead of Greater Melbourne?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yasser M
March 2016

Re: Unable to edit address (city) for my verified business

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Yasser M

Like @Helmut Geissler, I'm nto seeing any issues with your search results. I get you for #1 in the 3-pack when I search "Carpet cleaning near Melbourne".

I differ slightly from Helmut's advice regarding showing your address though. Unless people can come to your Dandenong Road office, then I don't recommend adding the full address to your Google+ page. You can still display it on your website if you want but not on the Google+ page.

(By the way I really like the way you're using your page - nice work!)

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Yasser M

I'm not sure what you are trying to edit and to what purpose.

I at least get you top listed for Carpet Cleaning Service near Melbourne VIC  and using google.com.au

Screenshot 2016-03-06 at 13.25.16.png

Please elaborate the goal and purpose of address editing your page.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Helmut Geissler, I was worried that my business listing had Melbourne as my location but my post code is 3163 which is for Carnegie - a suburb of Melbourne - I thought that maybe I was confusing Google so I edited my listing to Carnegie, Vic, but it is still showing up as "Melbourne, Vic" - which is fine as long as it is not causing any confusion on maps or local listings.

Second part of my inquiry is more of a general question;
The main search term for my industry here is "carpet cleaning Melbourne". As carpet cleaning is mostly a service area based industry, I do not understand why Google is defining "melbourne" as the CBD instead of the greater Melbourne area. Almost every business listed in the first 20 local rankings have a city/CBD address within a few blocks of each other. I was ranking number 1 for this term for the past 12 months, however now I am about 35 purely because my office is located 15 km from the CBD, however I service CBD as well as greater Melbourne.

I thought that perhaps my listing might be affecting this ranking as Google maps couldn't decide if I was Melbourne or a smaller part of Melbourne called Carnegie. If you think it looks ok then I am happy to leave it as is..

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Yasser M

I don't believe its any how confusing getting shown up as Melbourne or any disadvantage.

But I will ping two  Australian contributors here to take a closer look

stil one question

Why on earth did oyu specified oyur business as a SAB a WITH HIDDEN address as you obviously did?

You mentioned your address to the public on your website.

I therefore believe you could "un-hide" the address and using your home office address as visible bottom left on your website http://blackgoldcarpetcleaning.com.au/

BTW have you specified exactly this address on GoogleMyBusiness?

update:

@PriyaC or   @MargaretO  

Would you please take a closer look to the address issue  showing up with Yassers listing ( Melbourne Vic 3163 versus Carnegie Vic 3163  )

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Black%20Gold%20Carpet%20Cleaning%20near%20Melbourne&rct=j

Accepted by topic author Yasser M
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Yasser M

Like @Helmut Geissler, I'm nto seeing any issues with your search results. I get you for #1 in the 3-pack when I search "Carpet cleaning near Melbourne".

I differ slightly from Helmut's advice regarding showing your address though. Unless people can come to your Dandenong Road office, then I don't recommend adding the full address to your Google+ page. You can still display it on your website if you want but not on the Google+ page.

(By the way I really like the way you're using your page - nice work!)

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again @Helmut Geissler. I am a mobile service area business, so the address listed on my website is my admin office address, I go to my customers, they do not come to me, so I nominated myself as a SAB and therefore the address is hidden, however I did specify the full address on GoogleMyBusiness. Thank you again for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you @PriyaC. I appreciate your input. I originally set my business up with my address shown, but then realised that as a SAB I should nominate a service area as customers do not come to my admin office address so I changed it. I am doing well on most search terms, except the main one "carpet cleaning Melbourne" - most customer search this term rather than "near Melbourne". Google used to have a broader view of what intent searchers had when then used the search term "carpet cleaning Melbourne" i.e. Greater Melbourne area not just the 3000 postcode. I am glad you like my page, I have put a lot of effort into it over the past couple of years! Thanks again for all your help.