AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Twilio & Google My Business Chat

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm attempting to setup the new Google My Business Chat for my business.  When I use my personal wireless number, everything works great.  When I use a number provisioned through Twilio, it appears that Twilio never receives the verification code message (it does not appear in the logs).

Are Twilio numbers supported?  This is a big deal—I was planning on using our existing support tools to allow various employees to handle customer questions.  I do not want these going to my phone.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the exact same issue. Love the idea of the messaging feature, but it's pretty critical that it works with Twilio. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good luck. Googles legendarily crappy CS has grown to even larger proportions with this latest rollout. Basically Google send the verification code FROM a shortcode number. And, while there are myriad reasons why actual Mobile numbers might also not receive messages from A) any shortcodes or B) from some but not from others, virtual numbers like Twilio et al definitely do not. The forums here and ones elsewhere specifically for SEO and marketing pros are filled with people posting this question and of course no answer from Google. This is consistent with their growing "we're huge and who else are you gonna use, so EFF you' approach to "service", and anyone you do contact there swears there's no option for override or even verification via phone call. Unfortunately, the 'Don't be evil' directive part of their corporate culture is long gone and the customer experience is reduced to people needing them and therefore being forced to put up with whatever they deign to give us.

One option, text-enabling your business line often will pass that initial verification code since its not solely a virtual number. I did this on one line with Twilio as a test in hopes that it would work (because my other platforms are already integrated with their API) and it hasn't, however I also noticed when I do a lookup that the carrier attached to that line is being reported as VOIP even though it's an AT&T landline.

Look into a company called TextRequest, they offer this service and it wirks with GMB Messaging.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We had connected messaging to a twilio number and it worked fine for a bit. Then, it suddenly started having issues last week. We either see delays in the messages or the messages get dropped completely. We tried sending messages using Allo and SMS, and saw the same behavior on both. Has anyone else had better luck with this?

Re: Twilio & Google My Business Chat

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having the same issue here. Twilio is not receiving any verification texts from Google My Business -- Doesn't even show up in logs. Will be reaching out to Twilio since I receive far better customer support from them. 

*edit* Looks like Twilio doesn't receive messages from short-codes which is how GMB sends it out. Oh Well  this ruins everything.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm experiencing this issue now. It won't text Twilio for some reason. I checked Twilio and there's no record of it receiving a message from any number. Checking Twilio support it seems that Twilio can not receive short code messages. Here's their website https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/223181668-Can-Twilio-numbers-receive-SMS-from-a-short-c...

If Google is in fact sending confirmation codes from a shortcode then it needs to be converted over. I'm surprised they'd do this on one service when all other communications I get seem to come from full numbers. Frustrating to say the least.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having the same issue here and it's extremely frustrating. Im not sure if this is an issue with short codes though. When I use my personal phone number, I get the verification code from +16146954805.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The first verification code never made it for me however I asked for a second one and it came in from also a full number: +16146954720

It would be really nice if someone from Google actually replied to the original question.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That would require A) someone from Google bothering to read these and B) actually giving a crap. 

I did recently FINALLY have success with this, figured what the hell I'll try it again and received the validation codes, so it might be worth a shot for you. These particular successes were utilizing my various text-enabled landlines (what Twilio calls Hosted SMS), but the sending number was a standard ten-digit (I believe it mightve been a Columbus/614 one also) so in theory that SHOULD work even on a Twilio virtual number.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey guys.  I'll ask Google about this and let you know what they say.  It might take some time for me to get a reply but I'll post back here when I do.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual