Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

The Drop Coffee

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have recently changed the name of my business from "the Drop Coffeehouse" to "The Drop Coffee". The search in Google shows the change but Google Maps still shows the original name of the business. 

My business is verified on Google but i am having trouble with Google maps. The business does not show up when I search using the keyword "Coffee" in the area of my business. However, the business shows up on the map when i use the keyword "Coffeehouse" in Google Maps search.

I would like my business to appear with the search keyword "Coffee" in the area of my business. Any help is much appreciated.

The Drop Coffee

Vancouver Convention Centre West Building,

1055 Canada Pl #29, Vancouver, BC V6C 3T4, Canada

206-400-6870

https://plus.google.com/109458706061356877746/posts

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: The Drop Coffee

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Fariha Q

I can't replicate, I find you quite well for coffee and coffee shops

screencapture (39).png

In Search

screencapture (40).png

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Fariha Q

The reason you saw that is because there's actually two different databases, and communication isn't instantaneous between them. If you check your business in maps now though, it should be showing your new name instead of the old one. According to your business information in Google Map Maker, that change crossed over to maps a little under an hour ago. 

Make sure you try and cleanup ALL old mentions of your old name throughout the internet as well. Changing your business name, address, or phone number is no joke and can result in temporarily dropped rankings, and even permanent drops if you don't clean up the mess all the way. For businesses like yours with no website, it's going to be especially important to give Google as much information as you can for it to be able to trust what it knows about you. The only obvious thing I found that still has the old name is your facebook listing, switch that to your new name, do a little hunting with Google to see if you can find anything you missed (I'd check for phone number coffeehouse and address coffeehouse) and you should be fine. 

One other thing to be aware of, your old name looked like it had a knowledge graph showing. For your new name, there's another coffee shop in Sweden with the same name. You may need to do a little extra work if you want your business information to show along the right now with your new name. 

I didn't see you for coffee in Vancouver either, though that's likely because there's not a lot of ranking factor's in Google eyes. While (unfortunately, and in my view, temporarily) having keywords in your business name does make a difference, if you really want to start showing better you should start by reading this article to get an idea of some of the things Google looks at to decide who to rank where, and how to influence those things. Hope that helped! Either way, maps and your new name should be synced up just fine now. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I have checked for myself and it
seems to be working now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the input! Really appreciate it!