AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Should Local Business Review Snippets be service specific?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

According to Google structured data and review snippet guidelines, we know Local Business review snippets markup must be location specific, however, does it have to be service specific?

For example.

We have a customer with a local business that has one location and specializes in 2 distinct services: 1st service is window treatments and 2nd service is furniture upholstery.

We want to markup each service page with schema using json-ld to display AggregateRatings so each page can have review snippets displayed in organic Google search.

We have 3 types of customer reviews:

- 10 generic reviews (reviewing the local business without specifying any particular service)

- 11 window treatment reviews (reviewing the 1st service this business provides)

- 9 furniture upholstery reviews (reviewing the 2nd service this business provides)

The website for this business has 4 pages: Home page, window treatments page, upholstery page and main testimonials page.

We want to add a review slider to the home page, window treatments page and upholstery page which will showcase the latest 4 reviews and a link to the main testimonials page which will contain all 30 reviews.

- The home page review slider will show the 4 latest generic reviews

- The window treatment page will show the 4 latest window treatments reviews

- The upholstery page will show the 4 latest upholstery reviews

- The main testimonial page will show all of the above reviews (30 reviews in total)

My questions are: 

Is it okay to have the same json-ld script with all reviews (30 reviews in total) marked up on both service pages? This way Google review snippets would be the same for both pages, showing a review rating out of 30 reviews.

Or are we required to have 2 separate json-ld scripts; 1 for each service page, with service-specific reviews marked up?

If this is true, then window treatment json-ld script would have 11 reviews marked up, and the upholstery json-ld script would have 9 reviews marked up.... which is obviously less desireable than the 1st option...  But even if this is the correct way to do this, where should we markup the generic reviews?

We noticed that the home page never gets approved for review snippets so we don't care to have a json-ld script with aggregate reviews on the home page.

If you ask me the markup is for Local Business and even though the reviews are service specific they are still partially about the local business. For example one review for window treatments says: 
"We purchased window treatments from CompanyXYZ and we couldn't be happier"

another review says: "CompanyXYZ has some of the most knowledgeable staff and their window treatment services are absolutely the very best." (so this is a generic and window treatment specific review) 
another review says "Company XYZ offers great services at prices that cannot be beat" (this is a generic review)

We do not want to go down the wrong route, and then down the road if we get a manual audit from Google, our review snippets are removed. So we want to know the correct way to go about doing this.

Thank you very much
Drazen

Should Local Business Review Snippets be service specific?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same doubt. Could someone provide any advice? 

Many thanks