3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Service Area Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a small business owner (WEDDING DJ) in Charleston, Illinois.  I have my listing on google business and it shows up well in Charleston.  My service area is 150 miles around Charleston, Illinois.  How do I know how well it is showing up in those areas?  If I type Wedding DJ in Champaign, Illinois.  I do not see my business listing!  More info on my listing is my home address is hidden from public since I travel.  How do I rank my business listing and website in my surrounding areas?

Service Area Business

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Gaylon S,

150 miles is quite a large distance for a local business listing. The more you move away from your immediate area the less chance you have of ranking in the local pack or local page 1 listings. There's always going to a company closer to the user when you're 150 miles away.

Personally I'd write high quality case studies on the website, this will include their location. This will then provide reassurance to users on the site and they can get to know your work better. And if those pages are well received then there's a chance you may rank for area related searches. But this will only happen if those case studies are true and are of high quality, personally I'd add images, maybe a video, quotes from the customer, full details of the work carried out (if a service company).

And work on your reviews. Ask customers to review your website on one of the many review sites. These are all signals that will allow customers to gain trust in you and your business.

There's lots to discuss here and I'm sure others will offer further guidance.

All the best

William

Service Area Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is kinda what I figured.  I have 4, 5 star reviews on my google business listing.  I am working on getting more.  I have a town that is 35 miles away and I don't show up for that.  I have a town that is 8 miles away I don't show up for.  So I am not necessarily mad that I am not rank 1 in towns 150 miles away.  I just want to rank in some of these other towns.

Service Area Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess my question is this. would it show up better if I included town names I would like to focus on instead of having a Service area based on miles?