Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Selected cover photo not displaying on Google Maps

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The cover photo I have chosen is not displaying on my business profile side panel on Google Places.
It seems that is is choosing randomly from any of the photos of my business.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 17.56.47.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-04 at 18.00.53.png 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Selected cover photo not displaying on Google Maps

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Administración F

I have found that Google typically prefers to show a photo instead of a logo or drawing type image in that location (despite what an owner specifies). If you have a photograph that you prefer over the others you could try making it either the profile image or the cover image and there's a good chance Google will use it.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Shouldn't the owner be able to display any cover page that reflects the business and its Brand, especially if you try to build your brand? What would you recommend to do to get the cover photo to be displayed?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Perhaps, but ultimately it's Google's call. Check out this thread for more tips, particularly the article that Mike Blumenthal links to in his post.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Afraid that bit of speculation is wrong. One of my clients uses photos of their bistro, no filter, no edits, but the cover still refuses to update. Same issue. Some random image keeps getting used instead. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Dare C,

Other factors influencing the selection of the Cover photo to display on Maps and Web Search are the pixel resolution of the image and the date it was taken, as determined from the image's metadata.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No they won't...I've tried several times..and with branding being so impostant, it's a shame!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can set a preference for your profile photo as suggested but ultimately Tom is correct. Google makes the final call on your photo based on their algorithm and they tend not to show a business logo. If you upload quality interior/exterior photos for your business there's a good chance Google will choose one of those and that's the best way to have any control over what is displayed.