Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business Name: Craft Burger co.

Address: 〒550-0014 大阪府大阪市 西区北堀江1丁目6−12 102号

Phone: 06 6556 6682

Google + URL: https://plus.google.com/108813664828333000072

Hi all,

I am having some trouble with my restaurant search result ranking based on language. When I search "hamburger osaka" in English we come up second in the results.  However when I search the equivalent "ハンバーガー店 大阪” in Japanese we are nowhere to be found.  The only way we come up is if I limit the results to a rating of 4+ stars.

Why is this and what can I do to ensure that when the majority of my potential customers (who will search in Japanese) will see us high in their results?

I have attached two screen shots to explain further.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pat

English search.pngJapanese search.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Search results vary due to language

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pat

This is more of a correlation than causation, but its interesting to see that the organic results below the local pack are completely different if searching in English vs Japanese.  Compare:

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%83%8F%E3%83%B3%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%E5%BA%97+%E...

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=hamburger+osaka&gl=jp&hl=ja&gws_rd=cr&pws=0&uule=w+CAIQICIFb3Nha2E

Generally, if a website does well organically it should do well with the local listings. Not being fluent in Japanese makes this a little trickier to assess, but it's looking to me like page listings that are largely in Japanese (J first, E second) are doing better in the Japanese language search.

I suspect the ultimate solution will be more than the observation above, and beyond the level of support provided here in the forum.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your response Margaret.

I would expect some variation in results ranking based on Japanese vs English but not to the extent that it is currently.  Something is certainly amiss and I will follow up with Google support directly.

Regards,

Pat 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Miki U

Thanks for the reply.  Would like to hear how you go.

I believe the algorithm is being tweaked heavily lately for more localised results. I wonder if there is a bit too heavy an emphasis on language matching? 

The local pack is also a lot more variable since the early Sept update, minor differences in search terms can bring major differences in the local packs.  

Good luck, and let me know how this ends up.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog