6.5K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Reviews "not yet approved"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had two reviews written by different people who work together but are reviewing my work on each of their respective, different websites - a plumbing business and a pub. They were submitted using different google accounts however both Google accounts use the same name therefore appear to be written by the same person. The reviews were written within hours of each other and are most likely from the same internet connection - both reviews are from two genuine happy customers.

The email notification from Google tells me that reviews have been left but they are not yet live and await approval.

I spoke with a Google help person who didn't really understand what I was trying to explain and eventually he told me that there is nobody who actually sees reviews and can approve them so guessed that the reviews triggered an automatic flag.

It is hard enough to get busy people to take the time to write a review let alone ask them to do them over again on another computer.

Is there any way the two reviews can be reviewed and distinguished as not being from the same person/looking like duplicates/bogus and ultimately published?

business name is Screenwyse http://www.screenwyse.com located in Devon, UK G= https://plus.google.com/111316460312131156860/about

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David G
January 2016

Re: Reviews "not yet approved"

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @David G

As mentioned previously, the review filter does rely on algorithms and once of those triggers is using the same IP address. There are many unscrupulous business owners who set up review booths at their business and strongly encourage people to leave reviews via that booth. Naturally when you have the owner / employee watching your every move you're a lot less likely to leave a negative review and so the reviews could be seen as skewed as a result of that process. 

Which is a long way of saying, there's little opportunity to tweak these filters for the one-off cases like yours.

If neither of the two customers can go to another location to connect to the Internet and re-write their review, then perhaps one of them could tether their phone to their laptop to use the phone's mobile data and re-write the review that way?

Clumsy I know but other than them going to the library / cafe to use another connection I'm afraid there's not a great deal that can be done.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Davis, you mention that they work together? Did they leave the reviews while they were both at work?
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They live together but run separate businesses, each of which I built new websites for hence why I think they are in order to leave their own individual reviews of my work

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
What I'm getting at is if they left the review's from the same IP address? Could have triggered a filter.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I understand that. But...is there no way to work around this when reviews can be demonstrated as genuine?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David G
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @David G

As mentioned previously, the review filter does rely on algorithms and once of those triggers is using the same IP address. There are many unscrupulous business owners who set up review booths at their business and strongly encourage people to leave reviews via that booth. Naturally when you have the owner / employee watching your every move you're a lot less likely to leave a negative review and so the reviews could be seen as skewed as a result of that process. 

Which is a long way of saying, there's little opportunity to tweak these filters for the one-off cases like yours.

If neither of the two customers can go to another location to connect to the Internet and re-write their review, then perhaps one of them could tether their phone to their laptop to use the phone's mobile data and re-write the review that way?

Clumsy I know but other than them going to the library / cafe to use another connection I'm afraid there's not a great deal that can be done.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both for taking the time to clarify what some might say are the failings of the filters - it was only two reviews after all.