AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Reviews That Violate The Fundamental Basic Policy Guideline

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I cannot for the life of me understand why I cannot get former employees' reviews to be removed.

Our business has a few former employees that have left reviews and I have had them looked at by the Google My Business team - only for them to tell me they do not violate the policy but it makes absolute no sense to me. These are NOT customers, NOR do they describe anything about our company other than working there. and it says at the VERY top of the Review Policy page: "Make sure that the reviews on your business listing, or those that you leave at a business you’ve visited, are honest representations of the customer experience. Those that aren’t may be removed."

There are also positive ones too and if they need to be removed as well, so be it - this is not the platform for people to be describing what it's like to work at our company and Google even says so in the policies they've stated on their site.

Can someone help me please?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Is anyone reading this?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Damian - unfortunately it seems that right now Google is not responding to reports like yours of reviews by employees with removal of those reviews. I understand how that can be extremely frustrating. In cases like this, the most practical solution is to invite real customers to post new authentic reviews to help dampen out the impact of the negative reviews that Google is not taking action about.

Frustrating but that's the best strategy, for now. 

If my answer helped, please "like" it! Thank you!

Re: Reviews That Violate The Fundamental Basic Policy Guideline

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I’m sorry but that is completely unacceptable.

While they “take a break from deciding how their own policy should be deciphered” companies are losing business left and right...

This is insane.

I messaged Google My Business on Twitter as well and this was THEIR response:

Hi Damian,

Users are not required to be paying customers in order to leave a review for a business. Reviews left by ex-employees are also allowed as they have the potential to be reflective of a positive or negative experience with the business.

For privacy reasons, users are also allowed to use an alias so you may not always recognize the given name. As these reviews are not currently violating any of the policies set in place, they are not eligible for removal.

As previously mentioned, you are able to respond to these reviews as a direct representative of the business. Future potential customers will be able to see that you do acknowledge any user concerns and actively take action to resolve issues.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reply back.
-F

How can this be true? How does this make any sense? It is the complete antithesis of what the policy states....

Meanwhile I had another company I worked for and in this forum the woman that helped me was able to have ALL the reviews that mentioned being an employee removed.

Why is this happening?!?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again Damian - I understand your frustration. I'm a user, like you, and not a Google employee. Sometimes Google's actions seem, or in fact are, inconsistent and seemingly arbitrary. You are not alone in your frustration over this. 

You mentioned, "Meanwhile I had another company I worked for and in this forum the woman that helped me was able to have ALL the reviews that mentioned being an employee removed."  Do you have a link to that topic here in this forum? Perhaps one of the other users here found a  way to highlight a situation that was unique or something. 

What I said before is still true: the best way to overcome unfair reviews is to foster the posting of new, authentic customer reviews that help to mitigate the impact of the unfair ones.

Sorry I couldn't help more. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'd love if you could provide some feedback on the last link I shared here.   It seems they have done this in the past with another one of my clients... I don't understand what changed especially since the review policy guidelines have not...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Agreed, that's crap.

I had someone leave a 1 star review, which is fine they have every right, but then he got 4 of his friends to leave 1 star reviews as well!

I have proof that this occurred, but I, like you, received no help from Google. That destroyed my ratings and I'll probably just close the entire account and start over. I can't have people googling my business and seeing "2.7 stars" because some a-hole and his loser friends decided to destroy me. Zero reviews is better than a 2.7 star rating..