Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Reviews Disappeared

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Our website has many reviews, but a while ago, two disappeared.  Our website is: 

https://plus.google.com/110971361475233050316/about

One was from a customer that rented one of our units and the other one was from his son who had rented a unit by himself, but also gave us a review on Google Plus.  What happened to them?

Thank you.  

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reviews Disappeared

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I can count 12 reviews on your page.
What user posted the two missing reviews and when

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We used to have two more, one disappeared on April 2015 and the other on August 2015. User was Fayez Morcos and the other one was Mena Morcos. Their Google usernames, if they used a different name, I would not be able to tell you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I found the review on our email address: this is the first one that disappeared

Mark M.: + It is an Awesome place and the service there is excellent. Starting with Korey who does his best to make your move as comfortable as it can be and is very friendly. Raul is also very helpful and will always day do his best to keep customers happy. Christine is also very friendly and she is the one that helped us move to this storage mart All in all this place is the best and you will not find any better. I have been here for 3 years and will stay more for years to come. Sincerely, Mark,Mary and Mena
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Raul G
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Google has an algorithm that assesses review quality and it removes reviews that do not meet the standard of that algorithm.

There are a few known reasons (i.e. it was created on the same computer that the business uses for example) but it is usually multiple things and is not easy to identify why the algorithm did what it did since it uses very broad strokes. Essentially some combination of elements about the review that was left matches behaviors that Google has found in the past to be suspicious.

Often times good reviews get filtered. I have found that it is easier to just move on and keep asking real customers for real reviews and you will get your share.

You can anticipate that due to the vagaries of the algorithm that you will lose some from time to time.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

We had a review added by our customer last week and this week it has vanished. They added another review for us today since the last review disappeared, and it isn't showing. We are at a loss as to what to do. We have over 200 customers and have just asked a few of our customers if they'd like to review us. But there's little point if they won't actually be added.

Can you assist?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Angela W The question you have to answer is whether there is something in the way that you are asking or the way they are answering that is triggering the algo or whether it was just a coincidence.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Our problem is that since we don’t have a lot of reviews, the few bad ones we have bring our rating down. That being said, over the past few weeks we've been asking customers to fill out a google review for us. A lot of the cliental that we have for our industry is the older generation and many of these customers don’t even have an email, let alone a gmail account. I think I have helped 3-5 people setup a gmail account and direct them exactly to right place to fill out a review for us, in our store. What I’ve noticed is that they are not showing up after see it filled out, I get a notification in my Google+ account but still doesn’t appear.

From what I understand after the research I’ve done and things different people have said, including yourself, Google is recognizing the reviews are being done from the same IP location. Is there anything that can be done about this? If I were to sign-up for a IP block or re-routing, do you know if that would solve this issue? Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Owen M Google says not to have on-site review stations (https://support.google.com/business/answer/2622994?hl=en) at your business so if you're going to ask users in person to review you, it needs to be from their own device (like their cell phone) with their own IP. I do not suggest getting a VPN or IP Blocker. Most of those IP addresses have bad reputations and will most likely get filtered as well. I know an SEO company that tried this for clients and they all got filtered.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very harsh algorithm. I sent out a mail asking a few customers to review me on Google. The first to respond gave me a fantastic review, really genuine stuff. It was there for a day, until two others reviewed with, still nice, but much lesser (in terms of heartfelt effort) reviews. Google randomly threw away two of the three including the really excellent one. They were all 5 star, but the one that stayed was, and don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for it, created with so much less feeling than that one that got deleted. Really annoying, I didn't nothing spammy, and nothing that I'm sure 1000s of people do every day: ask for reviews. Only thing they get right is that they ask people to use different review services I guess?