AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3K members online now
3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Reusing Business Listing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I will soon be expanding from a freelancer to a full service web company. I am looking for as much information as I can get about best practices for this transition before I begin at the start of 2017.

1. Should simply modify my business current listing with the company name and new web address, or should I create a new listing.

2. What are some things I should be ready for or what other advice would you give on the subject?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reusing Business Listing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard G

I would certainly use the current business page and change the address, web address, when you have moved.

This will retain any reviews / equity within the business page.

What you will need to do, is chase down any business citations out there with the old details and update those details also.

However, you may also want to mark the other as closed and delete from account and start fresh, if the branding is different, or there are some negative things online about the previous one.

In this case I would delete from account and create a brand new one. 

There are merits for both, but if their is a some great equity in the business page, I would keep it and update the details when you make the change.

You would probably have to re verify at the new address.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Reusing Business Listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I could use a few suggestions clearing something up for a client ... he reused a Business Listing for a business that is now closed, changing the business name and other details as needed, EXCEPT there is a 5 star review for the previous business that sends the "wrong signals" and has little to do with the new business.

Question: Can the review be removed or should he delete the older listing and create a new one?

Re: Reusing Business Listing

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tim G

If he can change back the details to the old business and it gets accepted, then yes delete the page and create a brand new one.

If not, then send me the details of old business name, current map url and date he took ownership and I will see if they will remove old review.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Reusing Business Listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Tim.