2.3K members online now
Take your business to the next level.
Guide Me
star_border

Restaurant menu link on Knowledge Panel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First, can't say I like the new "Community". Not intuitive to use at all and prior conversations all gone.

Now, the issue:

Going on nine months trying to address incorrect links being served up on search Knowledge Panels and Maps. Finally began to get attention for this at Google in August and was touch & go fixed, unfixed, partial fix until the "new community" and disappearance of the discussion. Discussion link used to be discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/msgid/business/d46545b1-49e0-4201-b27b-0c18b2d...., which now just lands in this community's home page.

So, here we are, and our issues are still not fully resolved. On search & Maps, the restaurant Menu link for the following locations is still wrong:

Tucson       AZ    CORRECT ON DESKTOP ONLY. Mobile is serving an incorrect & outdated JavaScript menu; it needs to be changed to the actual location's menu URL as per schema:

http://tucson.firebirdsrestaurants.com/menus/dinner/

Raleigh       NC    CORRECT ON DESKTOP ONLY. Mobile is serving an incorrect & outdated JavaScript menu; it needs to be changed to the actual location's menu URL as per schema:

http://raleigh.firebirdsrestaurants.com/menus/dinner/

Eatontown  NJ    INCORRECT LOCATION MENU BEING SERVED ON BOTH DESKTOP & MOBILE. It needs to be changed to the correct location's menu URL as per schema:

http://eatontown.firebirdsrestaurants.com/menus/dinner/

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Restaurant menu link on Knowledge Panel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, now our brand new location opening in a couple of weeks is showing the wrong Menu link. We have only a Coming Soon page up. Where is Google determining what Menu link should be assigned? Firebirds West des Moines is in IOWA, not Phoenix Arizona, so a Phoenix menu link should not be served up.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Hi Firebirds,
Thanks for posting this issue in our new Community! Our teams have been investigating this issue, and are looking for a fix. We do not have a timeline at this point, however, the team has suggested using our standard tools to edit any incorrect data as it comes up.
Best,
Elizabeth

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Good Afternoon,

I see that the thread has been escalated but I wanted to pass along some tidbits of info that could be helpful.

I took a quick look at your schema markup and noticed you're marking up Restaurant, Place , PostalAddress and WebSite types separately. In addition, although the tool is not catching all the duplicated marked up Restaurant type has been marked up 3 times, Place type 2 times, and PostalAddress, 2 times. It's not necessary to markup Place. Please note, it's acceptable to markup more than one Restaurant type on a page but in this case you're only marking up information for one restaurant therefore all the information should be marked up in one Restaurant type and all other types should be nested in Restaurant type. The current markup could be creating some confusion. Structuring as follows will help the search engine better understand the content of the page because all the content is marked up in Restaurant type.

Restaurant (top entity) ➔ PostalAddress (via address property) ➔ GeoCoordinates (via geo property).

If you were using the recommended format (see ref to new docs below), JSON-LD, you could simplify the markup as follows. (You can't nest Restaurant in WebSite type if you're marking up Restaurant type using microdata - can't mix the formats.)

WebSite (top entity) ➔ Restaurant (via about property) ➔ PostalAddress (via address property) ➔ GeoCoordinates (via geo property) ➔ OpeningHoursSpecification (6 times to markup Sunday to Thurs, to markup Friday and Saturday and then Holiday Hours, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve).

Have you seen the newly released documentation for LocalBusiness (overview)? If you have a few minutes to spare, I recommend reviewing the Place Actions documentation as well (ReserveAction & OrderAction).

Another tidbit of info to share, although it's acceptable to markup displayed content using meta tags, Google prefers that you add the markup where it's displayed in the HTML. It's best to use meta tags only if necessary (one of the reasons JSON-LD is preferred - so much easier to implement).

I hope the info above is helpful - and your issue is resolved soon.

Grace

Grace

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My clients restaurant menu is also incorrect (and I agree with Firebirds above - this forum is garbage to use) - the menu in question is Belly Taqueria in Eugene, Oregon. The menu link is sending people to an older website. (The owner just split the restaurant into 2 entities - Restaurant and Taqueria with 2 separate websites.). Is there any way to MANUALLY edit this link? The Google Business interface is crazy and confusing.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
your client should contact business support regarding the wrong menue link

Restaurant menu link on Knowledge Panel

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭